What is 'geboostered' in English?

I’ve noticed that on social media in Germany, many people use the term “geboostered,” which is the Germanized participle of the English verb “to boost.” It means that a person has received their third vaccination. Is there an equivalent to ‘geboostered’ in English? For example, how would you say “Mein Freund ist bereits geboostered” in English? Maybe it’s “triple vaccinated”?

Many thanks.

2 Likes

I can’t find an English equivalent, but there is one in Dutch, it’s the same as in German.

e.g.: Ik ben nog niet geboostered.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard anything special. Just
“I got my booster last week.”
”Yes, I’ve been vaccinated, including a booster.”

2 Likes

I never equated the word booster with the verb boost. I never thought about the relationship between the words until now. In usage they are different words with completely different contexts.

We have booster shots. We have booster rockets.

We boost someone up. We give someone a boost. But the person doing it is not a booster. The word is not used that way.

@Torsten
“geboostered”

Does the ‘ge’ prefix make it a participle/adjective? I remember something similar with the ‘be’ prefix for adverbs. Not sure If I remember it right.

2 Likes

In this case you need both the prefix ‘ge’ and the ending ‘ed’ to create the past participle of the German verb ‘boostern’.

1 Like

The new ad campaign, which encourages people to get the third vaccination is called ‘Get boosted’.
I’ve noticed people saying that they’ve ‘had the booster’.

2 Likes

I just read the following:

“I am fully vaccinated, boosted and not in a high-risk category?”

2 Likes

When I was a little kid we got our vaccines. I also remember getting booster shots. I never thought of a booster shot being a type of vaccination. To me as a kid it was just a different kind of shot.

Unlike the COVID booster, we would get a booster shot several years later. In my mind as a kid the booster shot was the “big boy” shot, while vaccines were for the little kids. So the booster shot was a sign of getting older.

The word booster shot has been in my vocabulary for a very long time, even if I didn’t entirely understand the meaning. Even though the word itself is not new, the widespread use for adults is new. The language is still being developed in a similar way that modern technical language is being developed. So people are basically making it up as they go along.

3 Likes

You should get a tetanus booster every 10 years.

2 Likes

Here is another occurrence today.
“Yet people who have been initially vaccinated but not boosted might be quite vulnerable to omicron infection.”

2 Likes