What is an old windsock?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #595 [color=blue]“English Slang Idioms (337)”, question 1

“I hope that old retires soon. He talks on and on but doesn’t ever say anything of substance. He is hurting our firm by remaining in the figurehead position. People won’t have confidence in us if they talk to him and figure out that for all the talking, he has nothing to say,” Brent told Jim about the senior law partner in the law firm.

(a) windmill
(b) wind sock
(c) windbag
(d) wind sail

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #595 [color=blue]“English Slang Idioms (337)”, answer 1

“I hope that old wind sock retires soon. He talks on and on but doesn’t ever say anything of substance. He is hurting our firm by remaining in the figurehead position. People won’t have confidence in us if they talk to him and figure out that for all the talking, he has nothing to say,” Brent told Jim about the senior law partner in the law firm.

Correct answer: (b) wind sock

Your answer was: [color=green]correct
[size=200]_________________________[/size]

Hello,
I can’t find any definition of windsock related to the meaning implied by this sentence.
Is it a common expression ?
Could you provide any explanation ?
Thanks.

Hi,

The choice of ‘windsock’ is used in the test sentence to show another word formed with ‘wind’. There is, as far as i know, no common use of the words ‘old windsock’ except obviously to say that it is a windsock that is old. A windsock is a device often used in airports to show in which direction the wind is blowing. Hope that clears up the mystery.

Alan

One can also say, “He/She is an old gasbag.” It has the same derogatory meaning.

A windsock or windbag (slang) is someone who talks a lot - a rather boring individual who talks about boring topics.