What is a traditional pronoun?

Hi teachers,

[color=blue]In English, forms for traditional pronouns, adjectives, and adverbs can also function as nouns; adjectives and adverbs as verbs; and nouns, pronouns, and adverbs as adjectives.

My question are:

[color=blue]1/ What is traditional pronoun?
2/ Could you please give me the example that adverb functions as noun?
[color=blue]3/ Example that adjective and adverb function as verb?
4/ Example that adverb functions as adjective?

Thanks in advance

Jupiter

Is that text online, Jupiter? I would like to read more of the context.

1-- Traditional pronouns are probably he, him, himself, she, her, etc as contrasted with the experimental s/he, hir, and hirself.

Hi Mister Micawber,

Thanks for your response.
It is not online. I took it from an [color=blue]encyclopedia called Britannica, its topic is [color=blue]Language of the World (p. 672). Its subtopic is [color=blue]loss of inflection

Waiting for your next reply.
Jupiter

Hi teachers,

I’m waiting for your response.
Why not say something for it?

My question again are:

[color=blue]1/ Could you please give me the example that adverb functions as noun?
2/ Example that adjective and adverb function as verb?
3/ Example that adverb functions as adjective?

Thanks in advance

Jupiter

Hi Jupiter

Like Mr. Micawber, I’d like to see the rest of the text that you found this in. It’s hard to explain it to you because we’re not 100% sure what they’re trying to say.

Probably the point they’re trying to make is simply that some words have multiple functions and meanings without changing form. For example, the word second can be used as a noun, adjective, adverb and verb.

• I’ll be with you in a second. (noun)
  • He asked for a second chance. (adj.)
  • That’s the second highest peak in the world. (adv.)
  • I’ll second the motion. (verb)

Amy

Hi Amy, :smiley:

Thanks for your explanation. I think it’s enough for me, and now I get it.
I just come to realize that it’s talking about form, and as your great response, one word (eg. second) can function as different parts of speech without changing form.

Thanks again

Jupiter