What does 'knock through' mean?

Hello,

Is there anyone here who could tell me what’s “knock through” means? I can’t find it in my dictionary. Thanks very much for your help.
See you,
Régine

Hi Regine83

What was the context? Can you give us the sentence you found that in?

hi regine

A knock through is a term used in games like Aussie rules football or Rugby.

In Aussie rules it is when you knock the ball through a gap of players and chase.
A knock through in Rugby is when the ball legally rebounds off you and goes through the back line of the opposition, and you chase.

This is one context. Pls give yours and we can help more.

Hi Amy,

Thanks for answering so quickly.
The sentence was: Actually, we may be going to knock through.
See you,
Régine

Hello,

Thanks very much…I’m not very found of sports but thanks to you I’ve learned something more.
Régine

Hi Régine
That sentence doesn’t provide much context. Do you have any additional context?

One possibility that comes to mind is “knock through a wall”. For example, if you wanted to change two small rooms into one large room, you would first have to “knock through” and remove the wall that separates the two smaller rooms.

Hi Amy,
That’s it, knock through a wall. It’s in a book I’m reading and one of the characters is a painter and he’s talking with his wife about the wallpaper, carpet, color of the painting for the kitchen and so on…
Thanks very much indeed.
Régine

Hi regine

This phrasal verb is right for the context.

It can be used “knock through …” OR knock a wall through".

cheers stew.t.

Maybe it’s a BE/AmE difference, but I wouldn’t expect to hear anyone say “knock a wall through”. However, I can imagine someone saying something like this:
“We knocked a hole through the wall in order to add a window.”

Hi Amy

Yes “knock a wall through” is a possibility, that is why I choose to mention it. ; )

Hi, Amy

Would the following sentence sound natural ?:

He knocked his way through the throng around the bus in order to get on.

Thanks!

That sounds OK to me, Alex.