What does augmenting mean?

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #554 [color=blue]“A Strategic Alliance”, question 3

“We can put financial institutions on the fast track to new levels of profitability and performance by our world-class business consultancy with our unique customer insight and predictive technologies,” said their vice-president, Akio Shibata.

(a) ameliorating
(b) augmenting
(c) segmenting
(d) separating

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #554 [color=blue]“A Strategic Alliance”, answer 3

“We can put financial institutions on the fast track to new levels of profitability and performance by augmenting our world-class business consultancy with our unique customer insight and predictive technologies,” said their vice-president, Akio Shibata.

Correct answer: (b) augmenting

Your answer was: [color=green]correct
[size=200]_________________________[/size]

what does augmenting mean?

Don’t you have a DICTIONARY?

Of course i have it.

Good! Then what does ‘augment’ mean, Ndora?

Hello sir,
Augment means the amount by which something is increased or rise changes resulting in an increase.
Thank you.

That’s right-- so in the original sentence, Mr Shibata is talking about increasing their consultancy business and therefore increasing profitability.

Hello sir,
Why TOEFL tests are so difficult compared to TOEIC? The reason iam asking this, is that i usually attempt these tests but TOEFL is quite different!.
Thank you.

They simply have different goals, Ndora.

TOEIC was originally designed to test the English ability of Japanese businessmen, especially the younger ones, to communicate in their field, so it is based more on daily conversation and practical business vocabulary. Its goal is to help management assess the English levels of employees, so that they can, for instance, be assigned to deal with overseas customers.

TOEFL, however, was designed as a placement tool for university entrance, and studying in an English-speaking university requires a larger, more academic vocabulary and more ability in formal English than does business communication. So TOEFL tests more sophisticated vocabulary and more complex language structures than does TOEIC.

You should decide why you are taking a language proficiency test and select the one appropriate to your needs or to the demands of the institution or organization to whom you will be submitting your scores.

Sir,
Thank you for the explanation.My objective is to speak and understand english with confidence and that is why i’m taking these tests so that i can get improvement in english because i always face a problem of communication as english is concerned in my daily business activities.Ithink taking TOEFL test needs me to pullup my socks.
Thank you once again.