What do you think of the Free Hugs Campaign?

Hi, have you heard of this Australian guy Juan Mann who has been giving out “free hugs” in downtown Sydney for more than two years? Now there is a video clip running on YouTube with music by an Australian band called “The Sick Puppies”. The story is quite unique, this guy decided that if he starts offering “free hugs” to the citizens of Sydney, they would be happier and might start hugging others in turn.

The story has been gaining quite some publicity and I could imagine that the free hugs campaign go on for a while.
Any thoughts?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: On the lake[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten

Have you seen this?

Yes Amy, I saw this site a couple of minutes ago but somehow Juan Mann seems to be running a different show together with the Sick Puppies…[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: The park[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten

This article about Juan Mann is interesting:
personaldemocracy.com/node/1024

It describes how the Free Hug guy and the band met: a free hug. :smiley:

Amy

Hmmm, imagine the free hug spirit spreading to places like Iraq. Now, that would be a truly new approach to solving conflicts…[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Waste disposal[YSaerTTEW443543]

If Americans did the hugging, you mean? :shock:

What’s that supposed to mean, Conchita? Would you mind clarifying that? Thanks.

Come on, you know what I mean! How would anyone respond to their invaders hugging them? You personally might want to do the hugging, as many of us do, and it’s all very well to say that we’re all brothers and should love each other, no matter what. We know that you’ve been against that war from the very beginning, as have many of your countrymen and women. But, frankly, would you as an American really start hugging people in the street in Iraq, right now?

Unfortunately, I’m afraid I’d be wary of hugging people in a number of places – including New York, for example.

Hi guys,
I have to agree with Amy, if I’m walking somewhere and someone decides to hug me I might get scared and attack him at once. If it’s a she then my wife would claw her eyes out in no time.
You know the saying “nothing’s free” if a stranger comes up to you and wants to make a deal that looks too good you can’t trust him, can you?
We’re too old to believe in fairytales. :slight_smile:
Choncita, if you met this guy who hugs all the strangers in his way, would you team up and walk with him for another block? Would that guy be your best friend?
This guy is not an avarage person, not like any of us.
If he’s not “normal” , doesn’t behave the way like expected, then he’s behaving “abnormal”.
Abnormal guys are called crazy. You better not copy crazy people unless you want to have some fun by jumping up and down in the rubberroom in white coat with your hands tied back tight. :slight_smile:
I don’t think the world is a dangerous place, it just is.
That’s the reason why you tell your child not to hug a stranger.
Spencer