What do you think about your country's school system?

As for me I think it’s high time we made some changes to the way our society is structured and our school system in particular. For example, I vehemently disagree with the current grading system which is totally out of date and stems from the era of the first wave of industrialization. Earlier today I read an excellent article on the subject by Julia Steinberger. Here is a quote: “Schools are always double-edged: they liberate through education, but are also tools of conformity, coercion and compliance of the economic, political and social systems they are embedded within. Individual teachers and schools can be wonderful exceptions, and anyone with an iota of a free and critical mind is evidence of these, but the general rule remains: the school is an instrument to turn children into the citizens and workers that the dominant society of their time would most like to see. When the students (and, very often, their teachers and schools with them) come into conflict with that dominant society, retribution can expected: harsh, swift, extreme even, to make an example of a larger principle — do not deviate from conformity. Do not bite the hand that feeds you. Do not try to stop climate breakdown when you live within fossil-dominated economies.” You can read the entire article here: Climate and Punishment: power and the striking students | by Julia Steinberger | Medium

3 Likes