What do you make of Frederik Pleitgen's accent?

Hi,

How do you like Frederik Pleitgen’s accent? I think he does an excellent job and I find his accent both pleasant while at the same time natural. He does not have a heavy German accent and neither does he try too much to cover up his origins. Also, his English is very fluent, isn’t it?

Anyway, what do you think of this voice sample?

Many thanks,
Torsten

TOEIC short conversations: Two patients talk about their health problems

Hi Torsten

I agree. He is quite fluent and his English is very natural. I also presume he has spent some time in the US. :wink:

1 Like

He has one of those region-free General American accents, although sometimes his R’s are a bit exaggerated. He doesn’t sound like a foreigner, though.

1 Like

Hi Jamie,

What do you mean by “he doesn’t sound a foreigner”? Do you mean he sounds as if he were born and raised in the States? To me he sounds like a German who has learned to speak English in a very natural and pleasant way.

TOEIC short conversations: A landlord talks about his business

No, he sounds like an American who is exaggerating his R’s in the style of some broadcasters.

1 Like

Hi Torsten

I agree with Jamie. He really doesn’t really have a noticeable/obvious German accent. Based on what I’ve heard, I’d guess that most Americans would assume he was a native-speaker – at least initially.

1 Like

Which is an amazing accomplishment especially if you take into consideration that you spent only about years in the US.

TOEIC short conversations: Two employees talk about their respective weekends

I agree. He has done very well.

1 Like