What do we call meat eaters?

hi everybody,
could somebody help me this question?
Those who don’t eat meat called vegetarian in English,
so Who do we call those who eat meat are ?
I mean I want to find the opposite word of vegetarian.
Thank you very much!

1 Like

Hi Giang,

You could call those folks carnivores, but this doesn’t usually relate to people.

All the best,

Ralf

PS - Welcome to english.best!

1 Like

Hi Raft,
Thank for your answer.
Best regard,

We call non-vegetarian, may be wrong .

Carnivore is the correct term for meat eater. Omnivore is meat and vegetable eater and herbivore is vegetable eater only.

Hi Tarjeem,

Those are indeed the correct scientific classifications, but those are used to refer to animals. Technically, humans in general are omnivores, yes, but you wouldn’t use the term to talk about a person.

We do call people who for personal reasons refuse to eat any meat vegetarians. There is an even stricter form of vegetarianism, in which people will not eat anything that comes from an animal, including dairy products, or eggs. Those people are known as vegans.

I suppose the exact opposite of a vegetarian would be somebody who doesn’t eat any vegetables, and only eats meat. To my knowledge there is no name for this, although I have heard some different made up words for this, such as ‘meatatarian’, but those are not widely used or serious words, just words made up as a kind of joke.

I actually don’t know how feasible it would be to only eat meat. Vegetarians can get by without eating meat, because there are other sources of protein, such as legumes, nuts, eggs, and cheese. It’s a bit more difficult to get your protein from a non-meat source, but it can be done with a lot of careful monitoring of your intake needs.

Eating only meat would mean no carbohydrates (the idea behind the Atkins diet), and you would have to supplement your meat-only diet with a regime of vitamins and minerals, because many of the needed vitamins and minerals the human body needs are found in fruit and vegetables. I suspect it might be even harder to maintain the needed nutritional values as a pure non-vegetable eater than it is for even a vegan, but then, I’m not a health expert or nutritionist.

I love my meat, and would never give it up, but there’s many a fresh veggie I’m found of too. Indeed, that’s my only reason for those hours put in my garden. Nothing beats a homegrown vine-ripened tomato, in my opinion. Although, a nice juicy cantaloupe runs a close second. Then there’s that first batch of salsa, made 100% from your garden, herbs included…whoooweee that’s good stuff.

Most of us who eat meat also eat vegetables, which makes us omnivores.

If a person only ate meat, kronk would be called a carnivore.

Hi Tom,

It’s hard to imagine Kronk a carnivore, unless it’s Yzma. :wink:

Nina, “kronk” is the new third-person singular pronoun. It’s like “he” or “she” but without the offensive sex-choice.

English lacked a unisex 3rd-person singular pronoun until now.

Spread the word please. Check out kronk and kronk’s in action:

Old way: The person said he/she/they is going to the mall.
New way: The person said kronk is going to the mall.

Old way: The person and his/her/their dog are walking.
New way: The person and kronk’s dog are walking.

He/she and his/her are gramatically correct to describe one arbitrary person, but choosing the masculine or feminine offends some people. Using “they” – patently plural – to describe one person is grammatically wrong.

Hence the unisex third-person singular pronoun “kronk” and the possessive form, “kronk’s”.

hehe

Oh, hey, what is Yzma?

Well, Yzma is Kronk’s boss in The Emperor’s New Groove.

Is there any chance that this new third-person singular pronoun came from this movie?

No. I drew inspiration from Heinlein’s use of “grok” in “Stranger in a Strange Land”.

Oh, I didn’t know you started it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cool.

Word up, G.

At least i don’t know of anyone else who has used “kronk” in that manner. hehe

They would be referred to as “normal”, changing your diet to be apart of a group is sad. They cant just be themselves so they need a label. That goes for anyone that claims they are in a “group”. If you dont eat meat, then you dont eat meat. You dont need a label.

2 Likes

What makes you think that vegetarians don’t eat meat because they want to belong to a group?

1 Like

Because everyone “has” to be apart of a group. I know people who ate meat their whole life and then decided to stop eating meat so they could be a vegetarian or vegan. Had nothing to do with health or anything they just wanted to be able to say “im a vegetarian”

1 Like