What are the best verb tenses?

Hello,

What are the best verb tenses that I should use in my following comment, please? I was told to make comments on an article by Mr. Alan Townend, but I still have doubts as to which verb tenses are most appropriate. Thank you.

Here is part of my comment:
I greatly admired the ways you had gathered all the points and wrote them so naturally. The article, “You’re pulling my leg”, really described the reality of life. Not only had the pulling somebody’s leg and hoaxes happened in the old days, they also happened in the present days.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. Let me suggest:

I greatly admired the ways you GATHERED/COLLECTED all the points and wrote them so naturally. The article, “You’re pulling my leg”, really described the reality of life. Not only DID pulling somebody’s leg and hoaxes HAPPEN in the old days, IT ALSO HAPPENS NOWADAYS.

Best wishes,

Alan

Dear Mr. Alan Townend,

Thank you so much for your helpful suggestions about how best to incorporate the tenses in the comment. I am impressed with the new verb tenses.

Do you mind telling me why you chose the past and present tenses in the comment? In other words, how do you know which tenses are suitable? For me, I have chosen the past perfect and the past simple. Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.