"What are differences or similarities between calling or texting on cellphon

Nowadays, mobile phones have become an indispensable part of our lives. Almost everyone possesses a cellphone and use is on daily basis. Although many features have been added on a cellphone since their first release such as cameras, Internet access, games etc, they are used mostly for texting and calling purposes.

To start with, texting messages on the mobile phone is less costly than calling. More specifically, a simple message would cost about $0.05 whereas a minute of talking would probably cost about $1. This is why texting is more preferable mostly to the younger such as teenagers and students who usually do not work and so cannot pay high cellphone bills. Moreover, sending text messages is convenient because if the cell phone is deactivated, the message is delivered once the cell phone is activated by its owner. A reply might not be required by the sender of the message. For instance, most of the messages say “ok”, “I love you”, or “Have a nice day”. Another example that makes obvious the convenience of text messaging is when one has to inform someone about a mail address or a telephone number. It is difficult to explain this information in a call session because the other person might not have a piece of paper and a pen at the moment or make spelling mistakes. This means that a saved message in the cell phone is a certain way to retrieve this kind of information.

On the other hand, the advantages of calling outweigh the disadvantages of texting. First of all, it is more preferable to the elderly because they are not used to the new technology. Moreover, the cellphone’s screen and its keyboard are not convenient for the elderly. For example, it takes me only few seconds to type and send a message whereas my mother should be taught how to use the menu for sending messages. Furthermore she needs to wear her glasses and find the appropriate buttons to type. This process would probably take more than 20 minutes which means that it is much easier for her to make a call. It is also vital to mention that in situations when calling for emergency is crucial then the only solution is to call. As we know, police or emergency medical service do not have cellphones. Sometimes, they need to give directions to the caller which exaplains why calling is very important.

In conclusion, texting and calling have both advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I use the one or the other depending on the situation.

TOEFL listening lectures: Which event or development did not strongly influence the history of bread?

Hi Iris,

Think about my ideas.

I recommend that you change ‘sending’ to ‘using’. That is because the conveniency you suggested in this sentence involves not only the sender but also the receiver.

I recommend that you change difficult to explain… to inconvenient to pass textual information. The reason is similar to the above one.

Can ‘a saved message’ be a ‘way’?

Justin

First of all thank you! For the last one, “saving messages in the cell phone” is a “way” (to retrieve this kind of information whenever you need it)?

I think so, Iris.
But ‘saving messages in the cell phone’ is talking about how to ‘save’ the information, I am afraid that it is still not a way to ‘retrieve’ information.
Logically, I still feel something wrong.