We went to the border...

Hi teachers,

We went to the border. We saw Pakistan and Indian armies were standing in front of each other. They were excited because it was the Independence Day for Pakistan and the following day, it would be for India. They changed their flags and hung new flags. Please correct it.

The army is standing on/at the border. Correct?

Many thanks.

… standing at the border. (on’ makes it sound as if they were all in a row on the border line.)

Thank you. And what about my other question?

We went to the border.
We saw Pakistani and Indian armies were standing in front of each other [color=green]This sentence needs work. which army is in front of which? They cannot both be in front of the other.
They were excited because it was the Independence Day for Pakistan and the following day, it would be India’s Independence Anniversary [color=green]I could have said ‘Independence Day for India’ but I wanted to avoid repetition…
They changed their flags and hung new flags. [color=green]This sentence needs work. It sounds as if they took down an old flag and replaced it with an identical new flag. What flag did they lower? What flag did they raise?

Thank you.
-Pakistan army standing in front of India army.
Isn’t “the” before “Indepence Day”?
They took down their national flags and replaced them with new ones. Is correct?

They do pretty much stand in a row right on the border - pretty humorous to my Western eyes, but I am sure it is quite serious for those involved: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagah_border_ceremony

And the video - wow! youtube.com/watch?v=LZ0ue-XGl9c

We went to the border. We saw the Pakistani Army standing in front of the Indian army.They were excited because it was the Independence Day for Pakistan and the following day, it would be India’s Independence Anniversary.
They took down their national flags and replaced them.[color=green]This is still unclear. Did they replace them with flags that looked exactly the same? If so, … and replaced them’ with no further explanation is fine. If they were replaced with something else, then you need to say something like:
They took down their National flags and raised special Independence day flags in their place.’

Independence Day does not take the article because it is a proper noun.

Thank you.
Can I also use “next day” in place of “the following day”?

Tes

Thank you very much.