We very much like the idea of visiting VS We very much like the idea to visit

Hi,

We very much like the idea of visiting the Lake District. OK. Could I say “we very much like the idea to visit the Lake District”?

Thanks in advance. Ciao

Nope.

Edited: Sorry, in fact that’s not strictly true. It’s not impossible if you are talking about a specific idea that someone has expressed. However, it risks looking like an error at first, and I wouldn’t particularly recommend it, esepcially if you simply mean “we like the idea of…”.

What a pity.

Did you see my edit to my post Francis? I think we just overlapped.

Alright, Dozy. Thanks. (My “what a pity” was referring to your first answer: “nope”.)

Thank you.
Even me, i can,t differenciate more precisely when and wher to use the verb with (to) or (of+verb+ing).
It is not just with this exemple,we can find it with many others.
Anyone can explain more?.

I think choosing between a gerund and infinitive is one of the toughest aspects of English. I know of no easy rules. A lot of it depends on the main verb of the sentence. Here is a pretty good list.

Verbs Followed by an Infinitive
She agreed to speak before the game.
agree
aim
appear
arrange
ask
attempt
be able
beg
begin * can also be followed by gerund
care
choose
condescend
consent
continue * can also be followed by gerund
dare
decide
deserve
expect
fail
forget * infinitive means to forget to do something you intended to do: “I forgot to pay the bill.”
get * can also be followed by a gerund
happen
have - “I have swimming on my mind.” vs “I have to swim.”
hesitate
hope
hurry
intend
leap
leave
like * can also be followed by gerund
long
love * can also be followed by gerund
mean
neglect
offer
ought
plan
prefer * can also be followed by gerund
prepare
proceed
promise
propose
refuse
remember * infinitive means to remember to do something you intend to do: “Remember to pay the bill.” gerund means remembering an event in the past: “I remember traveling to Scotland.”
say
shoot
start * can also be followed by gerund
stop * can also be followed by gerund
strive
swear
threaten
try * can also be followed by gerund
use
wait
want
wish

Verbs Followed by an Object and an Infinitive
Everyone expected her to win.
advise
allow
ask
beg
bring
build
buy
challenge
choose
command
dare
direct
encourage
expect
forbid
force
have
hire
instruct
invite
lead
leave
let
love
motivate
order
pay
permit
persuade
prepare
promise
remind
require
send
teach
tell
urge
want
warn
Note: Some of these verbs are included in the list above
and may be used without an object.

Verbs Followed by a Gerund
They enjoyed working on the boat.
admit
advise
appreciate
avoid
can’t help
complete
consider
delay
deny
detest
dislike
enjoy
escape
excuse
finish
forbid
get through
have - “I have swimming on my mind.” vs “I have to swim.”
imagine
mind
miss
permit
postpone
practice
quit
recall
resent
resist
resume
risk
spend (time)
suggest
tolerate
waste (time)

Verbs Followed by a Preposition and a Gerund
We concentrated on doing well.
admit to
approve of
argue about
believe in
care about
complain about
concentrate on
confess to
depend on
disapprove of
discourage from
dream about
feel like
forget about
insist on
object to
plan on
prevent (someone) from
refrain from
succeed in
talk about
think about
worry about

Notice according to this list, the infinitive is used after the verb like, but that would be in a simpler sentence: “I like to visit the Lake District.” Francis’ example did not have this simple structure, so the list I posted does not apply. And in fact, “I like visiting the Lake District.” is also fine, so the list is not foolproof.

Hi Ouddene Bouziane,

Those verbs that can be followed either by an infinitive or a gerund such as ‘like’ can express a slightly different meaning. We say: I like to visit Holland in the Spring (suggesting a particular ‘like’) and we can also say: I like visiting Holland (suggesting a general ‘like’).

Alan

Hi Francis, you might also want to read this piece by Alan: Gerund or infinitve?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Helpful suggestion[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Luschen,

I think you need to issue a caveat concerning the list you have given of verbs that you say are followed by the infinitive because in some of them there is the choice between infinitive and gerund as for example ‘remember’, where the meaning changes.

Alan

Yes, you are correct Alan, thanks - maybe I should just delete the list?

I think the list is very helpful, with Alan’s caveat in mind, (at least to me), so I would keep it. I’ve found quite a few verbs on the list that I didn’t know what to use with (the infinitive or the gerund).
As you said, this gerund vs. infinitive rule is a bastard to get a handle on, because you have to memorize a lot of verbs and this is where lists come into play.
Thanks! :))

I didn’t generate the list myself, I copied from a webpage that no longer seems to be working. If I have some time I will go through the list and make some notes.

Thanks everybody for your attention.

I just knew this:

VERBS + GERUND

(i) I finished studying at 11. (ii) Tom and Helen kept talking all the time.

VERBS + INFINITIVE

(i) Alme and Harold got to be friends when they lived next door to each other. (ii) Mrs. Baker learnt to drive last year.

VERBS + GERUND OR INFINITIVE

(i) It began snowing/to snow yesterday afternoon. (ii) Tom started studying/to study English last month.

For the verb get:

Well Grommit, let’s get to work.

Well Grommit, let’s get working! (I think the gerund is a bit more informal)