Washing versus Washing up

Hi

Last night I did washing and washing up!

Could you please shed some light on the sentence?

Which one is clothes and which one is utensils?

Tom

Hi, Tom
Washing up refers to utensils :smiley:

Hi Tom,

You’ll have to ask Amy what she means by wash up. Here this side of the Atlantic it means wash the dishes.

Alan

Hi Tom

For clothes, I’d say I did the wash.

For dishes, I’d say I did the dishes.

:wink:

Amy, and the verb for washing hair? To shampoo? To hairwash :slight_smile:

And what about the brainwashing, Tamara? :lol: :lol:

No, Pamela,
[size=200][color=red]I did my hair![/size] :lol:

Hi

Wash up could also be for hands as in:
Go and wash up - your dinner’s ready.

Shampoo in brief is a soap used for washing hair.

Brainwash (V): to make someone believe something by continually telling them that it is true and preventing any other information from reaching them.
Example:
The government is trying to brainwash them into thinking that war is necessary.

Brainwashing (n):
Example:
Many people thought the religious sect was guilty of brainwashing

regads
Baraa

To do your hair doesn’t mean to wash your hair. It means to give yourself a hairdo.

Washing up without a direct object is not understood to mean washing dishes in my part of the English-speaking world. It usually means to wash oneself (short of taking a bath or shower), maybe just one’s hands and face.

Note that we also don’t say have a wash here, and some people would have trouble understanding it.

Jamie, could you give us a slightly more detailed description (from a man’s point of view) of what is entailed in “giving yourself a hairdo”? :wink:

Now, that’s what I call a do!

Amy, :?: :?: :?:

Please explain!

Tom

Hi Tom

I asked Jamie to explain give yourself a hairdo in more detail, so when I said “That’s what I call” I meant “That’s my definition of”.

I was playing with the word do. My reference was to hairdo and “do” meaning a form of entertainment — because I found the hairdo in Jamie’s last picture particularly entertaining and tidy. :wink: :smiley:

Amy

:slight_smile:

:slight_smile: :lol:

Good Sun-day to all! :slight_smile:

Amy, thank you for your answer (, heating the imagination :slight_smile: ) [size=67]Even though I’m not Pamela :slight_smile: :wink: [/size])

Hi Tamara

I love the picture. :smiley:

[size=75]I know you’re not Pamela.[/size] :smiley: But after Pamela’s response about “brainwashing”, I wanted her to refer back to what you had written before I posted “I did my hair”. I had assumed your comment indirectly referred to another thread in which the “doing of hair” was mentioned… :wink:

Amy