Wanted: Feedback on TOEIC Listening Exercises

‘with respect to say’ isn’t quite correct. I suspect you are thinking of the term ‘in respect of’ but that doesn’t quite work either.
You could just use ‘if we say’ there.
What is the difference in meaning if we say “It’s raining”?

Yes, I was thinking of the term “in respect of”. Thanks a lot once again Beeesneees, you’re nearly become my private English teacher :slight_smile:

Take care of yourself.

Obviously I meant “you’re nearly becAme my private English teacher”. I hope I’ll speak a decent English one day…

Hi Mr Francis,

I’m pleased to tell you that you were right the first time. ‘You have become’ not ‘you have became’.

you became.
you have become… you will become… you would have become… you will have become…

Ciao Bev,

You’re right, I apologise (to come-came-come). As I already said I hope to speak decent English one day. :slight_smile:

PS: I’m sure there are programs against spam. Let’s fight spam, then!

I worked late yesterday finishing mine…
cant it be
I worked late yesterday and finished mine…

cant we say you have become my private English teacher

In this particular case, no, as that is not factually correct. It is grammatically correct though.

Hi everyone,

Would it sound odd if I said “The man is holding a white lead with ONLY one hand”, rather than “The man is holding a white lead with one hand only”, like it has written by the authors of this listening exercise: english-test.net/toeic/liste … ician.html

Thanks a lot in advance. Cheerio

Francis. (unfortunately with a full stop at the end of the name). I wanted to change my nickname to “Francis”, but another member has already that name, apparently. :-/

Your version is probably the most popular of the two, Francis.

Hey Bev! I’ve just seen that my nickname is become “Francis” (without any full stop). Apparently it has just been a mistake. I’m the happiest man in the world, now! :smiley:
(Anyway, thanks for your answer.)

(B) The lefthand side of the roof is completely covered in tiles. Well, I assume it’s also correct to say “The left side of the roof…”.

english-test.net/toeic/liste … ofing.html

Yes, you assume correctly.

(C) One doctor is holding both the patient’s hands. Well, I guess in that case is used the article “the” (THE patient hands) because we are referring to a person that is visible in a picture. Anyway, I think in a case like this is also acceptable not use the article. Are you agree?

english-test.net/toeic/liste … pital.html

This needs to read: both of the patient’s hands or both hands of the patient. Either way you need the article ‘the’.

By the way you need to ask: Do you agree? Or Are you in agreement?

Alan

Hi Alan,

So I can say either “One doctor is holding both the patient’s hands” or “One doctor is holding both OF the patient’s hands”.

OK, thank you so much.

I am not reall happy with ‘both the patient’s hands’ because ‘both’ in that position in the sentence isn’t clearly defined.

Alright, Alan, anyway I want to speak just decent English. :slight_smile:

Hi,

“There are several white cups on top of the machine”. Right. Is it an acceptable alternative to say “… on THE top of the machine”?

Thanks in advance. Bye

english-test.net/toeic/liste … unter.html

It’s okay, but it’s unnecessary to add it and it just ‘clutters’ the sentence by using an un-needed article.