Wanted: Feedback on TOEIC Listening Exercises

Hello,

On Apr 28, 2011, I reported the interrogative pronoun was inappropriate for Question 2 of TOEIC listening part IV, set 7, exercise 1. However, since then, no changes have been made. Could you please verify this matter?

The reason I reported was the correct answer to the question was a place, “At a business meeting”. Therefore, the appropriate interrogative word is “Where” rather than “What” according to this test.

Here is the letter I posted on Apr 28, 2011:

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.

The change has been made. Many thanks. Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: A business man phones to say he will be late for a presentation.[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello,

The first sentence of the transcript of this TOEIC listening part IV, set 8, exercise 9 requires a question mark. However, a full stop has been inserted at the end of the sentence instead. Could you please verify this matter?

Here is an excerpt from the listening transcript of TOEIC listening part IV, set 8, exercise 9:

Listening Comprehension Transcript

May I have your attention please.
There is a car in the east parking lot that’s blocking a stadium emergency exit. The car is a blue Toyonka coupe…

TOEIC listening part IV, set 8, exercise 9

english-test.net/toeic/liste … _exit.html

A similar example of this sentence is found in the “EDL Story: The language of silence”, which is written by Mr. Alan Townend.

Here is an excerpt from the “ESL Story: The language of silence”:

Shut up is still regarded by most people as an impolite expression but you hear it nevertheless used in everyday conversation and the tone in which it is spoken indicates its severity or casualness. Thus, a child shouting shut up to his parents would, we imagine, be reprimanded but in adult conversation the remark: “Oh come on, shut up! I’m trying to be serious!” would be quite harmless in it’s request for co-operation. More formally “Be quiet” and “Keep quiet” as orders call for greater respect.

And “Hold your tongue!” has a dramatic and almost medieval severity all of its own. Less awe-inspiring are “Pay attention now please!” and “May I have your attention please?” On a more friendly level when we want quiet we can simply say, ”Would you mind?” or “Settle down now” and for a humorous…

english-test.net/stories/71/index.html

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.

I don’t think I agree. Let me check with Alan though to make sure we get this right.

Many thanks for pointing it out.
Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Preparing an assessment of the museum facility[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Bhikkhu,

You raise an interesting point. Clearly both examples could be regarded as requests rather than direct questions since an answer isn’t expected. At the same time I believe that both a full stop and a question mark are acceptable. In those circumstance’s I think it is in order to leave both forms of punctuation as they are to show that there are these two possibilities. Thank you for your observation.

Alan

Hello,

A word has been left out in the highlighted sentence of the listening transcript of this TOEIC listening part IV, set 4, exercise 10. The audio recorded the word “off” immediately after “50 percent”, but it has been omitted in the listening transcript. Could you please verify this matter?

Here is an excerpt from the listening transcript:

…and Rockman trousers. Buy one pair, and get the next one free. In our children’s department, all Koala Company coats are 40 percent off, and - today only - children’s submarine cargo pants are on sale in all sizes for just $9.99. For women, all Jean Pierre dresses and jump suits are a super-saver value all this week, with savings ranging from 20 to 50 percent, and selected women’s shoes are on sale for as much as 75 percent off. In addition to these great…

TOEIC listening part IV, set 4, exercise 10

english-test.net/toeic/liste … prehension

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.

Hello,

There is a minor error in the highlighted sentence of this TOEIC listening part IV, set 10, exercise 6. The audio recorded “on behalf of everyone”, but the listening transcript showed “on behalf everyone” instead. Could you please verify this matter?

Here is an excerpt from the listening transcript:

…scriptwriter, who wrote such a fantastic story. Finally, I guess, I’d like to thank my family, who have supported my dream every step of the way. I’m honored to accept this award, not only for myself, but on behalf everyone in my life who has made my dream come true!

TOEIC listening part IV, set 10, exercise 6

english-test.net/toeic/liste … event.html

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.

Hi Bhik,

Many thanks for these. I’ve made the changes.

Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Announcing the schedule of a mobile blood center[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello,

On Nov 03, 2010, I reported a discrepancy between the audio and the transcript of TOEIC listening part IV, set 13, exercise 6. Since then, no change has been made. Could you please look into this matter?

Here is a copy of the feedback letter submitted on Nov 03, 2010:

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.

Many thanks for this. ‘Get’ added. Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Welcoming a new business executive[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello,

There are two discrepancies between the audio and the listening transcript of TOEIC listening part IV, set 14, exercise 10. First, the audio recorded “this” preceding the “building”, but the transcript showed “the”. Second, the audio recorded “ceiling-glass” preceding the “structure”, but the transcript showed “steel-and-glass”. Both discrepancies are highlighted in the sentences of the excerpted transcript below. Could you please verify these discrepancies?

Here is the excerpt from the listening transcript:

Thank you for coming to the grand opening of the Holmstead Library. It’s taken 18 months to complete the building, but I think the wait has been worth it. This magnificent steel-and-glass structure has been called the perfect marriage of function and form, and I think all of us here today would agree with that statement. Now I’m going to hand the microphone to a special guest, the…

TOEIC listening part IV, set 14, exercise 10

english-test.net/toeic/liste … ening.html

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.

Thanks for this. Changes made.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Audio advert in supermarket announcing the latest special offers[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello,

On May 03, 2011, I reported the audio had recorded a word that had been omitted in the listening transcript of TOEIC listening part IV, set 9, exercise 7. Since then, no change has been made. Could you please verify this matter?

Here is the copy of the feedback letter I submitted on May 03, 2011:

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.

Thanks for this. “All” inserted.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: A radio commercial for window installations[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello,

At the beginning of June this year, I gave a feedback that a word had been recorded in the audio but had been omitted in the transcript. However, the discrepancy has not been corrected since then. Could you please verify this matter?

Here is a copy of the feedback letter I submitted on Jun 02, 2011:

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.

“to” added. Many thanks for pointing this out. Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: A newspaper journalist is leaving a voice message for a city developer[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello,

Last year, I submitted my feedback about the discrepancy between the audio and the transcript, but until now no adjustment has been made. Could you please verify this matter?

Here is a copy of the feedback letter:

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.

Changed. Merry Christmas.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Stadium announcement inviting fans to stay for after game party[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello,

On June 10, 2011, I gave a feedback about the discrepancies between the audio and the listening transcript, but until now, no corrections have been made. Could you please verify these discrepancies?

Here is the copy of the feedback letter I submitted on June 10, 2011:

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.

The transcript is correct, I don’t see what exactly you want me to change.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: A commercial for a vitamin supplement product[YSaerTTEW443543]