Using of use and usage :)

Hi

(all examples are taken from BNC)

Could you explain:

1. when usage and use should be used :slight_smile: with (indefinite) article? (as in (2) and (3)),

2. more clearly - the difference between use and usage when they are used without article, (1),

(I also wanted to ask about the difference between use of and using (when the latter/gerund is used as a noun) - but have understood it while writing a question 3) about (4) :)).

1. when usage and use should be used with (indefinite) article? (as in (2) and (3)) – As with other nouns that can be countable or uncountable, use the indefinite article when it is an unspecific or non-previously-mentioned, etc, countable noun.

2. more clearly - the difference between use and usage when they are used without article, (1)-- the difference is not related to countability. In language, usage is established use; use is pragmatic usage. Actually, however, they are cavalierly mixed by most writers (including me).

This means that I, not being a mad linguist nor even an English-Writer-with-a-Capital-Letter, don’t need to know that difference at all. Actually.
:slight_smile:

Thank you, Mister Micawber.