Use Too and Either

what are the rules governing the use of too and either?

Example:

Mary did not go to the concert last week, I did not go too.
Mary did not go to the concert last week, I did not go either.
Help me get out of the prison, too.

Either is a correlative conjunction (is that right?). Either…or, but in the sentence above, it is not used with or.

I want to be enlightened about this matter.

Thanks.

Hi planetypus

The word either is used in negative sentences instead of the word too.

So, your first sentence is not correct and the correct sentence would be:
Mary did not go to the concert last week, and I did not go either.

Amy

Hello Yankee!

Thanks a lot! Your answer makes a lot of sense to me. Sometimes, I just feel comfortable using a certain sentence structure without even knowing the reason supporting such syntax.

You’re welcome, Planetypus.

That’s the general “rule”, but I guess I should also mention that there are a few exceptions.

For, example, you can use too in a negative sentence if it is not at the end of the sentence:
“He, too, didn’t go.” = He didn’t go either.

Another exception is when you use too in a sentence that is asking for confirmation of an affirmative. For example, if I was at a big party and I believe you were also there and I now want to ask you to confirm my belief, I might ask you:
“Weren’t you there, too?” = “I was there and I think you were there, too. Am I right?”

For the above sentence, if you use either, the meaning changes (because you would then be confirming a negative):
“Weren’t you there either?” = “I was not there and I think you were not there either. Am I right?”

Amy