use of words 'so' and 'hence' and 'therefore'

Hi,

Could you please clarify when and where to use the words ‘so’ and ‘hence’ and ‘therefore’ in the sentences as I am confused with these words?

Regards,
William

In what sentences, William?

If you mean in any sentences, then as they are often interchangeable I suggest you look up their meanings in a dictionary where you will find examples of sentences which use them.

You did not get the answer, so you need to look up in the dictionary. I would, therefore, suggest that you consult the dictionary first. I hope you will, hence, post your questions accordingly. You are confused with those words; hence (I’ve given) this reply.

(Note: The meaning of ‘hence’ can also be ‘from now’ as in the third sentence. The three words, as already mentioned, are mostly interchangeable.)

Not a very helpful reply, as in one place you have used ‘hencfe’ instead of ‘thence’ and it doesn’t take other possibilities into account:

You did not get the answer, hence you need to look the words up in a dictionary. So I would suggest that you consult the dictionary first. I hope you will thence post your questions accordingly. You are confused by those words, therefore I’ve given this reply.

What I meant by ‘hence’ was indicated there. After all, they are interchangeable, you see.
(Well, if you had responded with your version earlier, I would have saved my time.)

To provide a basic, crude definition,
‘thence’ - from there
‘hence’ - from here.
Your sentence I hope you will, hence (from here), post your questions accordingly
-doesn’t make sense given that the person has not yet consulted the dictionary, so cannot be said to be ‘here’ yet.
I hope you will, thence (from there), post your questions accordingly

• from the point you will be at when you have consulted the dictionary, is far more logical.

Why would I have responded with something that was flawed? My response points out that it doesn’t help at all.

To provide a basic, crude (also factual and actual) definition,
‘thence’ - from there (from then)
‘hence’ - from here (from now)
My sentence ‘I hope you will, hence (from now), post your questions accordingly’ does make sense given that the person will (is expected to) consult the dictionary in the future in view of the advice given to him.

I hope you will; hence (from here), post your questions accordingly.

Even when it means ‘from here’ what I wrote should be correct. That was my hope for the future; he should post his entries after consulting the dictionary. It does not have any time link to the word ‘first’. Let me reiterate that ‘hence’ also means ‘from now’ according to OLD. By the way, please let me know why you have placed the semi colon there if it is not a typo.

By the way, please let me know why you have placed the semi colon there if it is not a typo.

There is only one possible reason. You cannot separate two independent clauses with a comma!

Except it’s not ‘from here’ (from this point). It’s ‘from there’ (from the point in the future when you consult a dictionary.)

Which two independent clauses would they be?