Use of preposition on

Hi my firends,

We took plenty of food and drink on our walk through the hills.

Why “on”? The meaning of “on” is…
Help me, please.

Alandro

ON

PREPOSITION: 1a. Used to indicate position above and supported by or in contact with: The vase is on the table. We rested on our hands and knees. b. Used to indicate contact with or extent over (a surface) regardless of position: a picture on the wall; a rash on my back. c. Used to indicate location at or along: the pasture on the south side of the river; a house on the highway. d. Used to indicate proximity: a town on the border. e. Used to indicate attachment to or suspension from: beads on a string. f. Used to indicate figurative or abstract position: on the young side, but experienced; on her third beer; stopped on chapter two. 2a. Used to indicate actual motion toward, against, or onto: jumped on the table; the march on Washington. b. Used to indicate figurative or abstract motion toward, against, or onto: going on six o’clock; came on the answer by accident. 3a. Used to indicate occurrence at a given time: on July third; every hour on the hour. b. Used to indicate the particular occasion or circumstance: On entering the room, she saw him. 4a. Used to indicate the object affected by actual, perceptible action: The spotlight fell on the actress. He knocked on the door. b. Used to indicate the object affected by a figurative action: Have pity on them. c. Used to indicate the object of an action directed, tending, or moving against it: an attack on the fortress. d. Used to indicate the object of perception or thought: gazed on the vista; meditated on his actions. 5. Used to indicate the agent or agency of a specified action: cut his foot on the broken glass; talked on the telephone. 6a. Used to indicate a medicine or other corrective taken or undertaken routinely: went on a strict diet. b. Used to indicate a substance that is the cause of an addiction, a habit, or an altered state of consciousness: high on dope. 7a. Used to indicate a source or basis: “We will reach our judgments not on intentions or on promises but on deeds and on results” (Margaret Thatcher). b. Used to indicate a source of power or energy: The car runs on methane. 8a. Used to indicate the state or process of: on leave; on fire; on the way. b. Used to indicate the purpose of: travel on business. c. Used to indicate a means of conveyance: ride on a train. d. Used to indicate availability by means of: beer on tap; a physician on call. 9. Used to indicate belonging to: a nurse on the hospital staff. 10. Used to indicate addition or repetition: heaped error on error. 11a. Concerning; about: a book on astronomy. b. Concerning and to the disadvantage of: We have some evidence on him. 12. Informal In one’s possession; with: I haven’t a cent on me. 13. At the expense of; compliments of: drinks on the house.

(courtesy of American Heritage Dictionary)