Use of "go waste"

Are the sentences below correct:

We have spent 2 days to create those software.
The effort should not go waste - we have to copy those files in a centralized location.

Thanks,
S

2 Likes

We have spent two days on creating this software. In order to make sure we donā€™t lose our work we need to save a copy of the code in the cloud.

2 Likes

Thanks Torsten, for re-writing the sentences and correcting it!

Seems, I did not explain properly.
My intention was, the software we have developed should be used from now on, in our office.
For this, the same sentence is suitable?

Thanks!

2 Likes

In this case I suggest to ue the following:

We have spent two days on creating this software and to make sure our efforts donā€™t go to waste we have decided to use the software on-prem.

3 Likes

You must put to before waste and itā€™ll be correct.

3 Likes

You must have noticed that Torsten used TWO instead of 2.
Usually, numbers from one to nine are written in words.

And it is to go waste, not go to waste.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, Anglophile, you would be mistaken. The sentence ā€œThe effort should not to go waste.ā€ Isnā€™t grammatically correct or really makes any sense. ā€œThe effort should not go to waste.ā€ Is the correct form of the sentence.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know whether you can agree or not, the implied meaning of the usage is ā€œgo (as) wasteā€.

3 Likes

I understand what you mean, but the sentence ā€œThe effort should not to go waste.ā€ Just simply isnā€™t grammatically correct.

3 Likes

It would be like me saying ā€œI should to go school.ā€ Thatā€™s not correct. Itā€™d be " I should go to school."

3 Likes

Your sentence has made me laugh, RyanBell!

3 Likes

Thanks Torsten, for helping me out, and this is what I wanted to say!

Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks Anglophile, for your response!

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad to hear that. Keep those questions coming, they are very interesting!

1 Like

However, in Software, we rarely (at-least as far as I have heard) use the word on-prem.
We just say, ā€œwe have to use it from now onā€.

2 Likes

Actually, itā€™s the other way round. The term ā€˜on premisesā€™ is almost exclusively used in connection with software and itā€™s the opposite to SaS (software as a service). Here are just a few references:

1 Like

Ok, got it now, thanks for sharing the information Torsten!

2 Likes