usage of "SO"

JOEY: Oh, no no, that’s the beauty part, it goes with everything. (gets the bracelet from the drawer) You put this on, you’re good to go. (puts the bracelet on Chandler) Ohhh man, you are so wearin’ that bracelet.
CHANDLER: I so am.

This is from a script of FRIENDS.

Chandler is not happy with the present given by Joey as it is an incredibly gaudy gold bracelet. Since Chandler doesn’t want to wear it,
he made some excuse and tryed to put it in drawer.

The expressons; “You are SO wearing that bracelet.” and “I SO am.”
I am not sure abut the meanigs and usage of this kind of “SO”.

Could you kindly explain to me about that.
Thanks! :slight_smile:

‘So’ means ‘indeed’ or ‘very much’. Joey’s ‘You are so wearing that bracelet’ means ‘You look very good wearing that bracelet’, but Chandler’s response, ‘I so am’, is just a joke- he is making fun of Joey’s enthusiasm by mimicking his use of ‘so’.

So, what is omitted after “I so am.”?
Was Chandler going to say, “I so am WEARING THE BRACELET.”,
or “I so am GLAD YOU GAVE ME THIS.” or …

He was not going to say anything more, but if I completed it, it would be ‘I so am WEARING THE BRACELET’.

Thank you.

Usually “so” modifies only “adjective”, not “verb”, right?
Here, it’s progressive, so “wearing” can be considered as an adjective but still it’s a “verb”, I think.
Can “So” be used if only verb is in a progressive form? or any form you can use “so” before verb?

Like, I so eat chocolate. meaning that “I eat chocolate so much” instead?

How about “so” before “noun”. Like I am so Japanese, or He is so gay. Is it possible?

Hi. Pooh,
I think If your " I am so Japanese" means : I am Japanese, too. We don’t use " so" here. Or If it means: you speak, think, do etc…like a Japanese, here, Japanese is an adj. and you can use " so".
And " He is so gay" , we can use " so" because gay is a adj. In this sentence, so means " indeed" or " very much".

“I am so Japanese.” = I am characterized as a Japanese or in a typical Japanese way to so great an extent. “Japanese” can act as an adjective like “American”: She is so American = she acts, thinks, talks, etc., in so typical an American way.

Thanks , Haihao. I got it.

Thanks but please answer to may original question about the usage of
“I am so wearing”. “wearing” here is adjective or verb?
And if it’s verb, is it OK for us to use “so” in front of any kind or any form of verb?

Then if so, how about noun? This is my second question related to my original question.
like, “This is SO apple.” meaning tastes like an apple, looks like apple, smells like apple, very typical apple.

I am sorry, Pooh, but I would like to leave the original question to Mister Micawber for courtesy and, more important, for the fact that he is much better than me.

‘So’ in this slang usage is an adverb, modifying ‘am wearing’, which is a progressive verb. You can replace ‘so’ with ‘indeed’ or ‘certainly’ and have the same meaning.

OK, so it’s a verb. Thanks.

Now, is it OK for us to use “so” in front of any kind or any form of verb?

Then if so, how about noun? This is my second question related to my original question.
like, “This is SO apple.” meaning tastes like an apple, looks like apple, smells like apple, very typical apple.

It is slang. I suppose you can use it before anything.

Oh, OK I’ve got it. I SO thank you! :slight_smile: