Usage of side... vehicles coming on your right side

Can someone please correct the paragraph below?

When you are walking with your little daughter on a busy road, let her walk on the safer side of the road. Say, the vehicles are coming on your right side, hold her hand with your right hand.

Hi Daemon,

If I understand you correctly, you mean to suggest that the parent place the child on the side away from the traffic? In other words, the parent is between the child and the traffic, like so?

Child Parent Traffic

If so, then that’s not what your paragraph says. It indicates that if the traffic is on your right, you should have the child walk on your right, next to the traffic, like so:

Parent Child Traffic.

If I haven’t misunderstood you, then I think you want to say this:

When you are walking with your little daughter on a busy road, let her walk on the safer side of the road. Say b [/b]the vehicles are coming on your right side, then hold her hand with your left hand.

I think the ‘if’ is optional, but I would probably use the ‘then’ regardless.

Thanks a lot, Skrej!

That’s what I meant. The girl should be away from the traffic.

One of the most difficult things for me to understand is the usage of front, side, back and behind.

For example, I don’t understand which is correct walk on your right or walk to your right.

You should have her walk to your right.
You should have her walk on your right.

Can you please tell me the difference between the above two sentences?

Say, the vehicles are coming on your right side…

Can I replace the above sentence with…

Say, the vehicles are coming on your right…

I also get confused with the following sentences. I can’t make out the difference.

It lies to the north of Africa.
It lies on the north of Africa.

She sat on my right.
She sat to my right.