Unless the user copies the file, application throws error

Is this correct:
Unless the user copies the file, application throws error.
Or
Unless the user copy the file, application throws error.

Thanks!

2 Likes

The user copies ( singular )
The users copy ( plural )

Application gives an error - instead of throws error.

Unless the user copies the file, the application gives an error.

2 Likes

Here is an alternative: If the user does not copy the file, the application gives an error.

1 Like

I was going to suggest that, but I didn’t want to explain why it’s:

the user copies
the user does not copy
the users do not copy

3 Likes

Thanks for ur help Torsten!

I still want to use - unless.
Is that not a common practice?

1 Like

Thanks for your help and for the answer!

1 Like

Unless the user copies the file, the application will show an error.

3 Likes

This sentence doesn’t sound right, because I don’t think “practice” is a countable noun here. As for your question, both sentences are very similar in meaning, if not the same, but the version with “unless” is more difficult to read and understand.

3 Likes

Unless the user copies the file…
If the user doesn’t copy the file…

The difference between these two is subtle. It has to do with expectation.

“If the user…” shows an expectation that the user will copy the file. But just in case the user forgets, it will result in an error.

“Unless the user…” shows an expectation that the user will not copy the file. This is because unless shows an exception. It is contrasted to something else.

He will finish his homework, unless he gets distracted.
She will win the race, unless she has a bad day.
His plane will arrive at 10:00, unless there is a delay.

All of the above show a contrast or exception.

3 Likes

It sounds like you are talking to computer people, so you might want to use a straightforward IF-THEN logical construct. I think this would be the most clearly understood.
Also, how specifically does the application throw the error? Is it displayed, returned or something else?

If the user doesn’t copy the file, [then] the application returns an error.

3 Likes

Is that not common practice?

I think both forms work here.

3 Likes

I am now computer people (previously worked different jobs in non I.T.) :grinning:
Yes, the context is related to software job - Thanks for your reply!

And - I observe that, in Software, people do not much care about the grammar, and framing sentences in a good way. In meetings, within 1 or 2 or 5 minutes, we need to quickly and in concisely tell the problems or issues and what we r doing at that moment etc. this might be the cause that grammar is secondary. Also 70% people belong to non-English speaking countries.

2 Likes

A software developer needs to learn programming languages that have similar syntax and patterns to a human language, so it should not be difficult for a good developer to learn proper English.

2 Likes

Based on my experience - Software Engineer does not need much intelligence - With little bit luck (For me it is Goddess Kanaka Durga’s grace) + more hard work will get any one this job. However, later on, need to keep learning new things, every day (almost).

2 Likes

Hi,
Unless the user copies the file, the application throws an error.
This is correct.

3 Likes