understanding what the differences in brain function?

Hi,guys

Emotional events are found to leave a deeper trace in women’s memory than men’s. Future studies will aim at understanding ____in brain function imply for the mental and physical health of both sexes.
(A)the differences (B)that the differences ©what the differences (D)whether the differences

The correct anser is ©,but my answer is (A).

Could you explain what the differences among add the pronoun, ‘what’ and not add the pronoun, ‘what’. If you could tell me the grammar rule or where I could find out this kind of information of this grammar rule would be much better.

BTW,here,I think ‘imply for the mental and physical health of both sexes’ is to describe the sentense,future studies will aim at understanding what the difference in brain function. Am I right?

Thanks a lot in advace.

Maggie :twisted:

The verb “imply” needs to have a direct object or a clause beginning with “that”. Without “what” as the relative pronoun, “imply” doesn’t have a direct object anywhere in the sentence, so it’s wrong.

Hi,Jamie

Could you please rewrite the sentense for me? I think that way I would understand easier. Thanks.

Greetings!

Maggie^^

Here it is. I have made the relative pronoun red, and the place where it would have come from red also.

[i]Emotional events are found to leave a deeper trace in women’s memory than men’s. Future studies will aim at understanding [color=red]what [color=darkblue]the differences in brain function imply [color=red][object] for the mental and physical health of both sexes.

The differences in brain function imply [color=red][something] for the mental and physical health of both sexes.[/i]

Hi,Jamie

Future studies will aim at understanding what the differences in brain function imply that the researchers will take more efforts for the mental and physical health of both sexes.

Does it make sense? If yes,my orginial question is that when I need to add the relative pronoun,‘what’.

Thanks so much.

Maggie :wink:

I’m sorry, Maggie. I can’t understand your sentence. :oops: