typical behaviour can/may/will

Modal verbs are sometimes used to describe typical behaviour, e.g.

(1) She can be rude sometimes (= She is rude sometimes)

(2) A female crocodile may lay 20-30 eggs. (It usually does)

(3) In those days, a man might be hanged for stealing a sheep (sometimes a man was hanged).

Would it be also correct to use

1. may in the first sentence
  2. can in the second sentence
  3. will in the second sentence
  4. could in the third sentence
  5. would in the third sentence?

They would all have different meanings.

Please correct me if I am wrong:

1. She may be rude sometimes = Perhaps she is rude sometimes
  2. A female crocodile can lay 20-30 eggs = A female crocodile is able to lay 20-30 eggs
  3. A female crocodile will lay 20-30 eggs = I think this will happen in the future.
  4. In those days, a man could be hanged for stealing a sheep (sometimes a man was hanged) = Executors were allowed to hang a man for stealing a sheep.
  5. In those days, a man would be hanged for stealing a sheep. = (what’s the difference between this one and “In those days, a man might be hanged for stealing a sheep sometimes a man was hanged”?).
  1. She may be rude sometimes = Perhaps she is rude sometimes OR she is rude sometimes
  2. A female crocodile can lay 20-30 eggs = A female crocodile is able to lay 20-30 eggs ORlays as many as…
  3. A female crocodile will lay 20-30 eggs = I think this will happen in the future.–No. This is a timeless truth. Here, ‘will lay’ = ‘lays’.
  4. In those days, a man could be hanged for stealing a sheep (sometimes a man was hanged– No) = Executors were allowed to hang a man for stealing a sheep.-- There is no necessary intimation of ‘allowed’. ‘Could be hanged’ = it was possible to happen OR it was legally permitted.
  5. In those days, a man would be hanged for stealing a sheep. = He would certainly be hanged.
    In those days, a man might be hanged for stealing a sheep = It was possible to happen OR it was legally permitted.