trying new things and taking risks

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?

Successful people try new things and take risks rather than only doing what they know how to do well.

Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Experiencing new activities and taking risks are very important during anyone’s life because with these types of activities people have found new ways for solving different kinds of problems. Some people tend to do ordinary and daily activities while other want to try new methods and explore more. I personally believe that all innovation had taken place with new type of thinking and successful companies are usually like to take risks.

To begin, if human kind wants to live better than before he should think about inventing new devices to solve his problems. All researches and scientists do the same to find new methods for solving current problems in different branch of science. For example, I received my M.Sc degree in computer science from Tabriz university last year. My final article was about finding new methods for increasing security in wireless sensor networks. I downloaded many articles related to this issue from different scientific sites like www.sciencedirect.com and scholar.google.com. When I was reading these articles I found that scientific articles are consisting of different parts such as introduction, related works and proposing a new method for solving a problem concerning the issue which has been introduces. So I understand that thinking differently and trying new methods are very important for founding new solutions for problems.

Furthermore, People who try new jobs or businesses are more successful than people who just want to do ordinary jobs and activities. For instance, I remember when I was a child; people do not had computers in their homes. As we know, Microsoft company’s programmers wrote operating systems like windows 98, windows 2000 and windows 7 for ordinary people’s affairs. As we know Mr. Bill Gates founded Microsoft and he was very clever. He was a student in computer science in a university in the U.S. when he wanted to found Microsoft he decided to give up university and concentrate on company. As we know he succeeded to become the richest man in the world. As you see some time we should give up old types of activities and try new things.

To sum up I think that all innovations and success are result of different thinking and I always advise my friends and young people to think and act different than other people

TOEFL listening lectures: How do botanists define a seed?

Hi Mahdi, I really liked this essay. This would be fine for a TOEFL essay,
but if it is a IELTS essay, which I think it is, it is much too long. I think you should shoot for about 280 words or so, but this one has 385. I think the problem is your examples contain too many details that don’t really support your argument, or at least are not necessary. In the TOEFL, a high word count is desirable, but I think the IELTS wants you to be more concise. Sorry if I have steered you wrong, but I have been looking at your essays from a TOEFL mindset instead of a IELTS one. Here are some specific suggestions:

Hi luschen

About eight month ago I decided to take an IELTS exam but after two month I realized that I need to pass a TOEFL exam. So this essay is a TOEFL essay.

Ok, great! The prompt just sounded like an IELTS prompt to me.