tribunal

Hello,

I’ve come across the word ‘tribunal’ in a book about Juridical English and its definition says that it’s a 'special court outside the judicial system which examines special problems and makes judgements".
I’m a bit confused about the part saying that it’s “outside the judicial system”. Is it maybe because “judicial” is not the same as “juridical”? For me, tribunal is connected to the legal system.
Can you please explain to me why it is considered to be outside the judicial system.
Thank you so much.

It is true.

Usually, but particularly in India, the judiciary is a four-tier structure with the Magistrate’s/Sub Judge’s courts at the bottom, then the District & Sessions Courts, then the High Courts and finally the Supreme Court. Any other institution like Tribunals, Commissions, Ombudsmen etc administering justice is outside this judicial system, though their proceedings and findings are legally valid.

Thank you for your answer.
I m interested to know what tribunal stands for in the UK.
Is is the same?
Thank you!

Sorry, I can’t say. It may be reliably answered by learned seniors like Alan. Wait for it.

One way of finding a reliable answer with no waiting involved and more independence gained:
oxfordlearnersdictionaries.c … h/tribunal

Thank you. This is the first thing I ve done, using the Oxford online dictionary, but unfortunately the definition mentions nothing on the fact that it is outside the judicial system. I ve also done some research on google but I didn’t manage to make things clearer.
Thank yoh again.

That fact is inferred within the examples of the answer given

a type of court with the authority to deal with a particular problem or disagreement
an internationalwar crimes tribunal
a military tribunal

Those are the indications that it is outside the judicial system.