Toefl Writing. What do you think of this?

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: it is more important for students to study art and literature than it is to study math and science. Provide reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Art, literature, math and science are all very important subjects studied by students all over the world.

I personally believe it is more important to study math and science and I am going to explain why in the following paragraphs.

First of all, math and science are necessary for understanding and advancing technology. The latter has become extremely important and is constantly changing and improving. Thanks to technology cell phones and the Internet improved communication and now billions of people are able to connect in a short amount of time, search for information, work remotely and carry on business relationships. It is thanks to math and science that we are able to develop this type of technology.

Scientists have also found a way to reuse plastic waste to make new products sold in many stores all over the world. Last week, for example, I bought a set of plastic plates for my son made with recycled milk jugs and I also purchased a pair of pants made with recycled plastic bottles. These inventions may help resolve pollution problems in the future. It is vital to keep studying math and science to advance technology and save the environment.

Secondly, we need to remember that doctors, nurses and medical technicians study math and science to save people’s lives and cure illnesses. My best friend, for example, went to college to become an x-ray technician. She attended college for three years and besides studying chemistry, anatomy, biology, medical terminology and physics, she also studied math and science.

In conclusion, I believe that in order to advance technology, save the environment and people’s lives, it is more important for students to study science and math than art and literature.

2 Likes