TOEFL Structure

1. ---------- through a prism, a beam of white light breaks into all the colors of the rainbow.
    (A) When shines
    (B) It shines
    (C) It is shone
    (D) When shone

The answer is D why can’t I select A?

1. ---------- begin their existence as ice crystals over most of the earth seems likely.
    (A) Raindrops
    (B) If raindrops
    (C) What if raindrops
    (D) That raindrops

The answer is D can I also use A

1. ---------- a marshland that covers over 750 square miles in North Carolina and Virginia.
    (A) In the Great Dismal Swamp,
    (B) The Great Dismal Swamp, which
    (C) The Great Dismal Swamp,
    (D) The Great Dismal Swamp is

This one is really confusing D is the answer but I think A and C also correct.

1. ---------- book jubilee which was based on the life of her great-grandmother, Margaret Walker was awarded the Pulitzer Prize.
    (A) For her
    (B) Her
    (C) It was her
    (D) That her

The answer key says A can I use B as well.

Please help me with explanation on how this problems be solve. With great appreciation in advance.

1 Like

For a number of reasons this option doesn’t work the main one of which is the fact that you would need a verb that functions as the predicate for the main clause. The more of our All questions | english.best you practice with the easier it will get for you to select the correct options. You need to know what is correct. You don’t need to give any explanations though.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I got it.

1 Like

You can ask the following question. What seems likely? The answer to that question can either be a noun or a clause. Since a noun is not offered as part of the answer options you need to select the clause. Please let me know if this makes sense.

1 Like