TOEFL listening lectures: How do botanists define a seed?

Mistakes.

Now answer the following questions. You may use your notes to help you.

Narrator:
Listen again to part of the passage and answer the following question.
Problems with the last three questions.

3). What does the professor mean when he says this: "Clear as a bell, right?= [color=darkred]‘You don’t have to repeat yourself. Your message is clear as a bell.’ "readily understood/color]
(A) He thinks the explanation is self-apparent.-[color=darkred]good
(B) He is expressing irritation at the students’ stupidity.
(C) He suspects that the scientists are playing a joke.
(D) He is acknowledging that the issue is confusing.

4). Why does the professor mention kernels?
(A) To compare chestnut seeds with watermelon seeds
(B) To highlight the confusion between nuts and seeds [color=darkred]No, to highlight the confusion between nut and kernel (kernel is the inside of every seed and nut also)
(C)To argue against the botanical definition of a nut.
(D) To illustrate a point about compound ovaries

5). What is true of both nuts and seeds?
(A) They have an embryo plus an integument.
(B) They have a plant fruit unattached to an ovary.
(C) They are extremely nutritious. It would have been the correct answer.I say- not all seeds are nutritious there are poisonous ones. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poisonous_plants) More common in them that the can reproduce themselves from their seeds/nuts.So the correct answer is the (D)
(D) They will grow into new plants when buried.-this is one which is common in them.

I don’t know what your opinion, but to my best memory my answers are correct.

almonds with kernel

almonds ’ kernel

wheat kernels-material base of flour

whole grain with kernel

kernel and the seed of a peach

P.s.
When I used to be a child we didn’t eat the bitter apricot “seed” because it was poisonous it had cyanide.

Watermelon example also incredible because I saw very little watermelon from which we made sourness and the teeny-weeny grains are in them.Of course in the marrows and cucumber also.

Regards,

TOEFL listening lectures: Why are red crosses erected on Tanna Island?

Hello Torsten,

I don’t understand why you didn’t correct the test.It 's false. 11562 people listened to it, and nobody noticed the mistakes.

TEST RESULTS

1). What is the lecture mainly about?
(A) The history of integuments
(B) The distinction between seeds and nuts – CORRECT
(C) The botanical definition of a nut
(D) The nutritional value of nuts and seeds

2). According to the professor, how do botanists define a seed?
(A) It is the part of a plant that will reproduce itself when germinated. – CORRECT
(B) It is any kernel used in cooking that is found within a shell.
(C) It is a plant fruit that does not attach itself to the ovary of a nut.
(D) It is a plant embryo completely encased in an integument.

11562 listened

Podcast Feedback Transcript

3). What does the professor mean when he says this: “Clear as a bell, right?”
(A) He thinks the explanation is self-apparent.-CORRECT
(B) He is expressing irritation at the students’ stupidity.
(C) He suspects that the scientists are playing a joke.
(D) He is acknowledging that the issue is confusing. – CORRECT-FALS-because the b CORRECT[/b] because “clear as a bell”-means = ‘You don’t have to repeat yourself. Your message is clear as a bell.’ "readily understood

(A) To compare chestnut seeds with watermelon seed- this one can be correct, because every seed has kernel but their development different
(B) To highlight the confusion between nuts and seeds – CORRECT-NOT CORRECT as there isn’t confusion between nuts and seeds both are seeds.If you take the nutshell from the kernel you can’t reproduce a new plant.
(C) To argue against the botanical definition of a nut
(D) To illustrate a point about compound ovaries

5). What is true of both nuts and seeds?
(A) They have an embryo plus an integument.
(B) They have a plant fruit unattached to an ovary.
(C) They are extremely nutritious. – CORRECT-NOT CORRECT it is true they cab be extremely nutritious but poisonous also.
(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poisonous_plants)
(D) They will grow into new plants when buried.(-this is true for every seed).-CORRECT.

Walnut with its exterior green shell

Walnut fruit is nut these are seeds and you have to put them in the land if you want a new tree.

kernel = core of the nut what we call not kernel but nut.

Hello Alan and Torsten,

I would like to ask Alan to do justice in this battle of wits. As I learned much biology (as I used to teach mentally ill children) and in our college was obligatory to learn: anatomy, physiology, evolutionism, psychopathology.

In evolutionism we learned of course developement of the plants, animals, and human beings .

When I first do this test I had 3 mistakes. I corrected them. After I was thinking that was not very correct of me that for that I receive the points I corrected my mistakes against my conviction.

As Torsten didn’t answer my letters I would like to ask you both that go through the test. Maybe I had been mistaken - because of my age – but my thoughts –just at the moment - about this test „clear as a bell”.

The first mistake hasn’t nothing to do with biology.

“clear as a bell”-means = 'You don’t have to repeat yourself.
(D) can’t be correct only (A)

professor says:“The kernel is definitely not a nut. It’s a fruit”…other:“in botany, the term “nut” gets slapped on seeds that are not true nuts. Almonds, for example,…”

Why does the professor mention kernels?

(B) can’t be good as the nut also a seed, so there isn’t confusion between seeds and nuts.

(merriam-webster.com/dictionary/kernel)
(1) nut: a hard-shelled dry fruit or seed with a separable rind or shell and its interior called kernel

5).

It goes without saying that which is true for all nuts and seeds is (D) They will grow into new plants when buried.

/(C) They are extremely nutritious - only true most part of seeds expect which are poisonous.( there are many of them) /

I ask you that if you agree with my explanation correct the test as it is misleading. I take important that the solutions of the tests can be correct. I already found smaller mistakes which also remained without answer.

Many thanks.

Regards:
Kati Svaby