TOEFL independent writing: a famous place :)

what famous place would you like to visit? use details and reasons to support your responds.

I am fond of traveling and I have been many famous places. But there is a famous place I want to visit because it is a special city in China with a long history, which makes it different from other famous places. The city’s name is Xi’an and the typical things which can represent its difference are its old buildings and its people’s language.

First, the old buildings which may have been built since thousands years ago are very different from the modern buildings in several aspects. The construction materials of the buildings is stone and wood without any glass or steel, thus you can find them easily. For example, there is an old and dark blue wall around the Xi’an. If you get close to it, you will find that it is only made of big stone bricks and you cannot find the concrete or others. In addition, the style and the function of these old buildings also make them special and different. The most different part of these buildings is on their tops. The roofs are very unique because its shapes are not as flat as their modern relatives. In fact, they protrude like cones and the bottom of the cone is not circles but a rhomb. There is a tower with the special roof in the center of the city, which make it standout. The function of the tower, also special to us, is to tell the time. There is a bell on the top floor of it and people who lived in the past would hit it to tell the time. In that time, the tower might be the only equipment about the time.

Besides the old buildings, the language which is used in the city also has some special characters. Although it is belong to the Chinese language, as a man who lived in china 20 years I cannot understand its language. For example, its pronunciation is totally different from the mandarin Chinese (the standard language). One of my friends who has studied in a college in Xi’an said during her first several days in Xi’an, she could not understand what her native roommates talked to her; their language was just like a foreign language. In addition, the grammar of the language is also different. Compared to the modern Chinese, it is more like the classical Chinese, thus talking with a native speaker gives you a sense that you are taking to person who comes from the past.

In sum, the Xi’an is special city and attractive to me because its tradition and uniqueness.

TOEFL listening discussions: How many types of IMA passes are available?

Hi, I thought this was very good. It’s very entertaining and interesting to read. Your vocabulary is also pretty good, although you have some grammatical errors, incorrect words and just a few unnatural sounding phrases. Still, overall I would rate it a 4 out of 5.

Hello,luschen. Thanks you very much. I am so happy that you can tell me that which parts in my essay sounds unnatural since as a foreign language learner, I cannot find them. however, one of your comments is not clear to me:

I am fond of traveling and I have been [to] many famous places. But there is a famous place I want to visit because it is a special city in China with a long history, which makes it different from other famous places. {try not to begin sentences with “and” or “but”} The city’s name is Xi’an and the typical things which can represent its difference are its old buildings and its people’s language. {the first phrase sounds a bit awkward}

Do you mean that the “the city’s name” sounds unnatural?
what about"the city is Xi’an"?

No, I meant “the typical things which can represent its difference”. Maybe say, " The city’s name is Xi’an and its unique traditional qualities include its old buildings and the dialect of its people"

please ,how to publish an essay .help me?

Hi Sidhana,
From the main forum page,
english-test.net/forum/
select an appropriate forum for your essay and click on it to open it.
Look for the button on the top of the page that says ‘new topic’ and click on it.

Give your message a meaningful name then copy and paste the text of your essay into the body of the message, then send your message.