TOEFL IBT: Could you please give me recommendations on how to improve my essay?

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement. it is more important to keep your old friends than it is to make new friends. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Plenty of people prefer to keep their old friend because they have a strong relationship with them. Another part of society believe that new friends gives them an opportunity to make a new interesting social circle. According to me, I believe that old friends are better for several reasons, which I am going to explore in the following essay.

There is no doubt that friendship plays an important role in our life and we want to keep good people in our social circle. First of all, when you have a long friendship with a person you are more confident in him. Furthermore, you know that you can rely on them in difficult situations. For example, I have a five-year friendship with my best friend and we can share our secrets with each other because we have a trusting relationship.

An important point is that you already have a person who combines your favourite personal qualities. Consequently, you do not need to look for another person to your criteria. I will give an example to prove my point. My best friend is a good listener and intelligent. It is two mainly friend qualities I appreciate in people. Furthermore, we have a lot of common themes to talk about.

On the other hand, new friends are good for your networking and new experience. It is important to remember that old friends are more reliable than another new. In my experience, although I have a lot of new friends, we are still not so trust each other to say that I have a real friendship with them. Moreover, I even do not know how long will our friendship last.

Summing it up, I would like to say that only with old friends you can share your secrets and thoughts and be confident that they will understand and support you. Moreover, nobody else can replace them for the above mentioned reasons.

There may be grammatical mistakes. Grammar remarks are welcome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Plenty of people prefer to keep their old friends because they have a strong relationship with them.

1 Like