TOEFL essay: The media pay too much attention on reporting personal life of...

The issue at hand is that the media pay too much attention to the personal life of famous people. I agree with this point because that the most part of time of a media is occupied by reporting famous persons’ life and most of them are meaningless, as a results it ignores some important things.

The media are spending most of their time digging out the personal life of famous persons. When you turn on television, nearly half time is on reporting personal life of famous people. Because the TV program is rotating in every half hour or a certain period, you would feel boring while watching the repeating. Same as in a magazines, the most of pages are covered by the biographies or stories of the famous persons such as actors, politics.

The most of the reports on the personal life are meaningless. The purposes of the most reports are just for attracting audiences or readers by using the people’s curiosity. They do not care about their social effects. So you can see a lot of pictures such as a famous actress kissing a few boy friends or some stories that a senator or president has a fair with an intern. They do not pay attention to what kind of effects may be exerted on children.

As results, because the media reports too much on the famous persons, it ignores some important thing. For example, it is hard to find how to educate a child or how to guide a moral issue on the television or magazines. Also there are fewer reports on how to build up a strong economy.

As above mentioned I think that the media pay too much attention on the life of famous persons and ignore some important things that are important to a society.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture in social science class

Hi Bill,

Before Alan is going to submit his suggestions I’d like to point out a few things myself:

It might be good to write “people’s” instead of “persons’”. The word “life” should also be in the plural (lives).

Are you sure journalists really spend most of their time doing that sort of things? Instead of writing ‘famous persons’ you could write ‘celebrities’.

Englishuser

The issue at hand is that the media pay too much attention to the personal life of famous people. I agree with this point because the GREATEST part of THE time SPENT BY THE media is occupied WITH reporting THE LIFE OF THE famous and most of IT IS meaningless AND AS RESULT it ignores some important things.
The media spend most of their time digging out the personal life of famous PEOPLE. When you turn on THE television, nearly half THE time is DEVOTED TO reporting THE personal life of famous people. Because the SAME TV program ROTATES/COMES ROUND every half hour or AFTER a certain period, you feel borED while watching the repeatS. IT’S THE same as in magazines, most pages are covered by the biographies or stories ABOUT the famous such as actors, politicIANS.
Most of the reports on theIR personal life are meaningless. The purposes of most reports are just TO attract audiences or readers by using people’s curiosity. They do not care about their social effects. So you can see a lot of pictures such as a famous actress kissing a few boy friends or some stories that a senator or president has aN AFfair with an intern. They do not pay attention to what kind of effect may be exerted on children.
As result, because the media reports too much ABOUT the famous, it ignores some important thingS. For example, it is hard to find how to educate a child or how to guide a moral issue on the television or magazines. Also there are fewer reports on how to build up a strong economy.
As mentioned ABOVE I think that the media pay too much attention TO the life of THE famous and ignore some important things that are important to a society.

Alan

Hi,

Very elegant!

Englishuser