TOEFL essay: The good and bad experience in English learning

Good moning. i recently try to write some essay to pratice my written English. Below is one of my essay and would you please help me to check if there is some thing wrong with it.
Thanks a lot!

Topic: talk about the good and bad experience in english learning.

I have the background of learning English over twelve years befor I came to Canada, but when I first entered this country, I found that I could barely say a word. Later, after I have spent several months in learning english at school, I look back at the past 12 years of english learning, and find out there are some good ways and bad ways in learning it.

In my hometown, the score of English test is pretty important. It could lead to the result that if you could assest the higher grade or not. Students always focus on writing and reading, for the english exam doesn’t include spoken english, and they seldom have the opportunity to speak. Despite more than ten years of English learning, me and my classmates are hard to speak. We usually use the sentence leaned from the textbook. If somebody said the sentence in a different way, I would have no idea how to respone in english. The more I afraid of mistakes the more I didn’t dare to speak. This lead to my first time came to canada lacked of the courage to speak to people. I believe that learning English should be comprehensive, and not just focus on writing and reading. In modern society, speak is a significant way of communication. The one who can get a high score in english test but could not speak correctly and fluently, is not the one that actually good at english.

After I have been in Canada, How to improve my listening and spoken english has become a main issue. My teacher suggest me to learn from watching sitcoms. At first time, I see it with subtitles, and then I read the scripts. If there were some good sentences, I would write down and recite. In addition, I tried to use these sentence when I communicated with others. After learning the script, I will see the sitcom without subtitles again and again to pratice my listening. A few months later, I progressed in listening and spoken english. Besides, I have been insisted on listening to CBC NEWS on the radio everyday. At first, I could not grasp what they were talking about. Gradually, I could fit into the conversation.

In order to expand my amount of new words, I recited the words in the dictionary everyday When I was in high shool, and I gave up before long. It was boring and difficult to recite the words without using them. Later, I found a small software from Internet which could provide a game on spelling the word based by the given explaination. I memorize 30 words a day, and use this software for testing.

These are my experiences aobutt good ways and bad ways of english learning. Englishas a language should be used rather than doing exercises to cope with the exams. There is a saying: use it or lose it, I think this is the best way to lean english.

TOEFL listening lectures: Why is herring healthier for us than tuna?

“We usually use the sentence leaned from the textbook. If somebody said the sentence in a different way, I would have no idea how to respone in english. The more I afraid of mistakes the more I didn’t dare to speak.”

And this is a classic example of the folly in learning English from educational text books, because they are so limited in their content.
This reinforces my opinion about reading newspapers because different topic writers write in different ways, and so your brain begins to assimilate the differences, yet readily recognises the “sameness.”

My dear Nichole, do not despair for you have come to the ideal place to learn English. Here you will find hundreds of essays all saying similar things in completely different ways. What a wonderful solution to your problem!

Stay here and rid yourself of all your problems. You are amongst friends here, who will encourage and support you through your difficulties.

Kitos.

Hi,Kitos~~~~~I am so suprised that I got the reply so quickly. Thank you so much for your coach. I have noticed this place for months and didnt get the courage to regist.
Now i finally made up my mind to write some essay. I could feel the friendly atmosphere here and will work hard in learning English.
Anyway, thanks again
~

Welcome to ESL-test net … THE place to be.

got it.

i will check it out. thanks. :slight_smile:

I am an English learner,Can you tell me how can I send the essay for correction.
Thanks

Simply click “New Topic” at the top left of the thread. WELCOME.

It was goog i want to continue with you,i hope it helps me to improve my essay.i am not good in writing.
thank you

I took the TOEFL test on July 23, 2010. Today, it is August 28, 2010 and I still didn’t receive my paper score. Normally, the scores arrive in 28 days, so probably my score is lost. The reason is TOEFL sends the paper scores via insecure mailing service instead of a registered mail (which proof of delivery is mailed to the sender). Although, the scores are very important, the customer service doesn’t assist you effectively. if you try to tell your problem to the customer service via e-mail, they answer you with almost automated responses without taking your e-mails into consideration and replying your e-mail can take 3-4 business days. They charge you 17$ to send the scores again. Even though you indicate that the situation is urgent, they say “it takes 7 business days to mail the scores”. Moreover, they say “delivery can take up to 4 weeks for international mail delivery”. I need the TOEFL test for student visa application and now, I may miss it and this will cause me to lose my chance to pursue my education in a very reputable university in UK. I regret not to take IELTS instead of TOEFL IBT.