TOEFL Essay/ Task 2/ working alone or working together

At work or school, you might encounter a problem that requires creativity – for example, you are given a task to complete that is very different from other tasks you do. In work or school situation that requires you to think creatively, would you prefer to work alone or with others? Why?

Today’s world is an intricate, developed, and competitive one that leads people to boost their creativity to reach the best results. With this in mind, a heated debate exists over whether it is good to work alone or work with other people to complete a task needing creativity. As far as I am concerned, teamwork can give rise to more beneficial results than working individually.

To begin with, different people have diverse thoughts and ideas. In other words, working as a group can result in a huge number of different and amazing ideas. In addition, every member of the group can see the problem in an aspect that the others may not pay heed. Therefore, thanks to teamwork, individuals can gather each member’s ideas and choose the best one to enhance the creativity which is necessary to solve the problem. For example, many years ago, I used to work in a house indoor decoration company. One day we were given a challenging project–designing a room for a child. Some of my colleagues and I decided to write down all things we liked during our childhood on pieces of papers and then spoke about them. Additionally, we analyzed all the information we had about the child’s interests. Indeed, sharing idea and experienced we gained about children helped us to design the room in a way that makes the child comfortable. Consequently, had we not had worked in a group, we would have never been able to make that amazing room with such creativity.

The other equally significant reasons worth mentioning is that people can divide the problem to different part and give each part to a person to do it. Thus, everybody can take the responsibility of a special part and does his or her best to complete it. For example, when I was in university, my classmates and I were given a simulation project. I went to the lab and asked some of my classmates to work with one another. Each of us focused on the part of the project that we were familiar with. Therefore, some of us searched the Internet to gather information and papers which was vital for the project, and the others did tasks such as installing pieces of software, simulation, collecting data, comparing, as well as analyzing them. As a result, our project ended up an A+ score in terms of creativity. Accordingly, it is obvious that doing all of the things by an individual is less likely to culminate in an excellent consequence.

To sum up, by taking all of the above-mentioned reasons, one can come to the conclusion that working together as a group can bring about huge advantages in comparison with working alone. In this way, not only can individuals share their ideas and select the best ones, but also they can be able to divide the task and make the most of their potential to reach the apex of the success in term of creativity.

33 min—479 words.

2 Likes

Hi Epic, another great essay. Can I ask, are you studying for the TOEFL or the IELTS? these sound like TOEFL topics to me. In any case, you have answered the prompt well. Only a few minor errors and a couple awkward sounding phrases, but your ideas are very clear and presented convincingly. Here are my comments:

3 Likes

Hi, thank you very much. Yeah I’m preparing for the TOEFL exam. I plan to take it in a few days.

2 Likes

Great! Good luck, I am sure you will do well on the essay section - how is your speaking? That to me always seems like it would be the hardest part.

3 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: I hope so. you know, speaking under exam pressure can be really hard and challenging. Honestly, I didn’t practice for speaking, since I had some serious problem last month and I wasn’t able to allocate enough time for speaking. I don’t know what is supposed to happen :disappointed:

2 Likes

Well, there is a speaking and listening section of the forum. Torsten has done a great job of integrating a recording function to the forum so you can post your own recordings. You might want to give it a try: Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent - TOEIC & TOEFL English learning forum

3 Likes

Wow, thank you so much, all you guys are the best :blush:

1 Like