Toefl essay/ Task 2/ Teachers

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
It is difficult for teachers to be both popular (liked by students) and effective in helping students in learning.
Give reasons and specific examples to support your answer.

It is an inevitable fact that teachers’ relationship with students can dramatically affect students performance. With this in mind, a heated debate exists over whether teachers can be popular among students and effective in students’ learning process. As far as I am concerned, a teacher can be liked by students and have an effective style of teaching.

To begin with, a lovely and kind teacher can increase students’ motivation to learn better. In other words, being interested in a teacher can encourage students to make every effort to learn the subject they are taught. The more effort one puts into learning a subject, the better understanding he or she will achieve. It is axiomatic that high inclination and endeavor can culminate in excellent consequences, one of which is a high score, showing a teacher’s effectiveness in students’ learning. For example, when I was in high school I had a math teacher whom all the students were interested in. Additionally, whenever we had a question she gave an answer to us with patience and helped us to analyze challenging problems. In addition, compensating her kindness was so strong a motivation for us that most students studied hard to ended up a great score at the end of the semester. Moreover, thanks to her special personality, not only could students study math well, but also we all considered her as a role model. Consequently, a teacher can be popular among students apart from being effective in learnin process.

The other equally significant reason worth mentioning is that students do not like to make a popular teacher disappointed. Thus, they may pay more heed to their teacher’s guides, bringing about students’ effective learning. Needless to say, if students liked their teacher, they would be considerably persuaded to listen and pay attention to what their teacher teaches. Also, they are more likely to regularly do their homework, allocate time to practice every day, and study crucial books as well as materials. One friend of mine, for instance, had a lovely biology teacher who was really in demand among students. Although biology was a demanding course for my friend, she did her best to do all assignments on time, search the Internet to make a presentation which satisfies the teacher’s expectation, and spent a great deal of her time every week in the library to practice with other students. Accordingly, had she not interested in her teacher, she would have never tried hard to catch the teacher’s attention; hence, she would have not been able to effectively study such a challenging course.

To sum up, by taking all of the above-mentioned reasons, one can come to the conclusion that it would not be difficult for a teacher to be popular and effective in the learning process. It is obvious that not only can students have the inclination to study better, but also they may do their best to grab their teachers satisfy.

33 min—466 words

3 Likes

Hi Epic, another fine essay. I like the fact that you are stretching your vocabulary, but you did have a few word choices that didn’t quite make the grade. Still, your meaning was clear and your examples were right on target. Here are some specific suggestions:

2 Likes

thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Having a kind and effective teacher is an indispensable need among students all over the world. Especially in modern societies, life without effectiveness is absolutely absurd. As for the question on this topic, while some people believe that being both popular and effective is difficult for teachers, I am of the opinion that it would be easy for them. I hold this opinion for two reasons, which I will explain in more detail in the following essay.

The first reason to consider is that teachers are trained for this during their internship. They have skills in how to act in class with different ranges of students’ behaviors. Specifically, sometimes being kind is essential for students to learn, and sometimes they have to be serious in order to be effective for students. My personal experience is a compelling example of this. during elementary school, I remember that students were so noisy. In this regard, we had a teacher who could easily manage children. He could wisely consider the situation. Indeed, when students were noisy and ignored the teacher, She was changing to a serious teacher with a loud voice and taught us very consistently. Therefore, no one couldn’t speak and we just listened to her. On other hand, she was changing in a kindly mood that all students liked her and tried hard to keep her satisfied. I always wonder how she did this, but I know that she had an unprecedented skill that I never saw. I believe that, If she had not had this capability, she wouldn’t have been able to manage students.

The other, equally significant reason worth mentioning is that if the teacher knows how to use technology and examples to teach the course materials, students will learn so easily and they would be more eager to learn and interact with the teacher. Thus, not only the teacher would be well-liked among students but also be effective in helping them. For instance, although high school students are not mature well and may have aggressive behavior, the teacher can easily be kind by understanding their needs. There is a proverb saying in Persian that “Kindness is the key to every closed door”. As a result, we can listen to our teacher carefully if he is kind.

To sum up, by taking into account all of the above-mentioned reasons and examples, I firmly approve of it is not hard for teachers to be liked and effective because not only they have learned correspondence skills, but also they use different methods to teach course material and receive respect from students.

Could you please also check my essay?

1 Like

Having a friendly and effective teacher is an indispensable need of students all over the world. Especially in modern societies, life without effectiveness is absolutely absurd. As for the question on this topic, some believe that it is difficult for teachers to be both popular and effective, while I believe that it would be easy for them. I hold this opinion for two reasons, which I will explain in more detail in the following essay.

The first reason is that teachers are trained for this task during their teacher training. They know how to deal with different student behaviors in the classroom. In particular, sometimes it is important to be kind in order for students to learn, and sometimes they need to be serious in order to be effective for students. My personal experience is a compelling example of this. In elementary school, I remember students being very loud. In this regard, we had a teacher who was good with the kids. He was able to assess the situation wisely. Namely, when the students were noisy and ignored the teacher, she became a serious teacher with a loud voice and taught us very consistently. Therefore, no one could say anything and we just listened to her. On the other hand, she was so kind that all the students liked her and tried hard to please her. I always wonder how she did it, but I know that she had an unprecedented ability that I have never seen. I believe that if she had not had that ability, she would not have been able to lead students.

The other equally important reason is that if the teacher knows how to use technology and examples to teach the subject matter, students can learn so easily that they are more eager to learn and interact with the teacher. In this way, the teacher would not only be popular with the students, but could also help them effectively. For example, even if high school students are not very mature and exhibit aggressive behavior, the teacher can be kind and understand their needs. A Persian proverb says, “Kindness is the key to any closed door”. Consequently, we can listen carefully to our teacher when he is friendly.

In conclusion, taking into account all the above reasons and examples, I can say that it is not difficult for teachers to be popular and effective because they have not only learned correspondence skills but also use various methods to teach the subject matter and be respected by students.

1 Like