TOEFL ESSAY - It is important to keep your old friends than it is to make new friends

Please fix my essay. Thank you so much for your time in advance!

There is no doubt that having friends plays a crucial role in people’s daily lives in many places. Some say that keeping old friends is important, while others disagree. Both sides may have their own reasons to support their views. If I had to choose one, I would say that making new friends is more important. Here are some reasons why.

First and foremost, each person has different stories and different views from me. There’s a saying that people can learn something new from anybody they meet in their lives. You and your new friend can share something informative and introduce hobbies to each other so that you both can enjoy it together. While you are doing those things, your friendship can be developed as time goes on. For example, when I met a new friend, J, we went to each other’s house almost every day and we taught each other how to cook our nation’s traditional dishes in the States with alternate ingredients and shared good tips for kids’ education and which restaurant is great, things like that. She even shared the story of how she overcame a hard time when her husband lost his job and how to react and what to prepare for the rainy day. That advice helped me a lot and drove me to prepare for my new career. I really enjoyed being with her and felt grateful to meet her as a new friend.

Another reason worth mentioning is that you can cultivate your social skills by making new friends. You might have to pay attention to what the person says and know how to show your respect to others. You will realize those actions are needed when you meet new people initially wherever you work or play.

In short, I strongly believe that making new friends is significant for the reasons mentioned above. All in all, the importance of experiencing something new and improving social skills through meeting new friends cannot be overstated.

1 Like

There is no doubt that having friends plays a crucial role in people’s daily lives in many places. Some say that it is important to keep old friends, others disagree. Both sides may have their own reasons to support their views. If I had to choose one, I would say that making new friends is more important. Here are some reasons why.

First of all, everyone has a different story and different views than I do. There is a saying that you can learn something new from every person you meet in your life. You and your new friend can share something informative and introduce each other to hobbies that you can both enjoy together. As you do these things, your friendship can evolve over time. For example, when I met a new friend, J, we went to her house almost every day and taught each other how to make our country’s traditional dishes in the U.S. with different ingredients, and shared good tips for raising kids and which restaurants are especially good. She even shared how she got through a difficult time when her husband lost his job and how she reacted and what to prepare for the rainy day. This advice helped me a lot and made me prepare for my new job. I really enjoyed being with her and was grateful to have met her as a new friend.

Another reason worth mentioning is that you can cultivate your social skills by making new friends. You may need to pay attention to what the person says and know how to show your respect to others. You will find that these actions are necessary when you first meet new people, no matter where you work or play.

In short, I firmly believe that making new friends is important for the reasons mentioned above. All in all, you can’t overstate the importance of having new experiences and improving your social skills by making new friends.

2 Likes

The name of the subject could better be: It is more important to keep your old friends than make new ones.

3 Likes

Thank you! I agree with you.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your correction. I can’t thank you enough!

2 Likes