TOEFL essay/ Independent Task/ please help me improve my writing skill

Hey guys, I appreciate any suggestion :slight_smile:

Topic: Sometimes filmmakers make movies that are based on books. When a movie is based on a book, some people prefer to read the book before watching the movie. Other people prefer to read the book only after they have watched the movie. Which do you prefer and why?

In the history of the film industry, quite a few movies had been made by inspiration of novels. With this in mind, some people prefer to read the book before watching the film, while others like otherwise. I, personally, prefer to read the book first. The reasons for my choice are manifold, among which a director limitations and having a chance to practice imagination dominate.
To begin with, time and budget limitations may cause a director to ignore some details of the story. Therefore, some parts of the book would not be filmed. Indeed, if a person read a book before watching its film, he or she can understand the story better. To illustrate this point, I would like to mention an example. When I first watched Harry Potter, without reading the story of it, it made me feel confused. There were some parts of the movie I could not find any justification for them. On the contrary, when I read its novel, and then again watched the movie, I could understand the complexity of some scene better. In fact, reading the book helped me to perceive the influence of each character and events in the movie in an excellent fashion.
The other equally significant reason worth mentioning is that one can increase his or her creativity by imagination character without any restriction. In other words, if a person read a book first, he or she will be able to imagine any detail in their mind. Yet, when people watch a movie first, they can just see another person imagination and thought, that is the director of the film. For example, reading a book, a reader should analyze characters and think about how they look, how they speak, and how they behave to name but a few. By doing so, he or she can challenge the ability of their mind and then could compare what is in their mind with what is in the movie. Therefore, reading the book first can give a person an opportunity to cultivate his or her power of imagination and learn new ideas.
To sum up by taking all of the above-mentioned reasons and examples into account, one can conclude that reading a book first is more preferable. Since it can help individuals not only understand all the details of the story but also boost their imagination.
58 min—374 words

3 Likes

Hi Epic, another fine essay. Watch out when saying “a book and its movie” or vice versa - it sounds a bit odd - I think you have to say a movie and the book it was based on, or a book and the movie it inspired, or the book that served as source material for the movie, and so forth. A lot of your words are grammatically correct and make sense, but sound just a little unnatural, so I gave you some suggestions for alternate phrasing here and there.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for your nice suggestions :hibiscus::blush:

1 Like