TOEFL essay - If you could change one important thing about your hometown...

If you could change one important thing about your hometown, what would you change? Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer.

If I could change one important thing about my hometown, that thing would probably be the people behavior that lives in my neighborhood. This is a big issue, because i would like neighbors who help each other. Also, people who really meet their neighbors and finally people which get along with others.

In my hometown, my neighbors are very distant people who do not help each other. For example, if you have an emergency like an accident trying to repair your roof. They do not run in your rescue, they just look to elsewhere and they make like if it never happened.

On the other hand, I do not have any friend in my neighbor, because the people in there are really tough. I made some attempts to meet them but it was impossible. A case in point is the last week when I was in the supermarket and met with one of them. I tried to establish a conversation with him, but I did not receive a nice answer. I just received short answers like yes or no. You know is like if I was acting a monologue.

Finally, the people in my neighborhood are very aggressive with other neighbors, specially the new ones. Commonly my neighbors have a lot of problem between us. For instance, if your kids threw their toys by accident in the neighbor’s yard. He will become furious and he will start a fight. This kind of things makes difficult the process to get along. More, if you are new and you do not know the rules.

Summing up, my hometown is a really nice place with many splendid things. But, I would like change the bad behavior of the people in my neighborhood. It would be wonderful see them helping each other. Also, I would love people who really met their neighbors and get along with everybody. I wish that some day come true this feeling.

[color=darkred]Thanks for your help and comments!

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture by a professor of Sociobiology