TOEFL essay examples: Learning a foreign language

Many people have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have learned a foreign language in the country in which it is spoken. Which is better? Give the advantages of each and support your viewpoint.

In this era of globalization, learning foreign languages is obviously very important. However the question is we should learn a foreign language in our country or in the native country where it is spoken. Each way of learning has its own advantages.

Learning a foreign language in one’s own country has the advantage in finance matter. You don’t have to spend time and money on traveling and staying at a foreign country.In addition, the most important thing is that you can have your teachers explain unknown words or phrases in your mother tongue, which is especially important at the early stage of learning a foreign language.

However, learning a foreign language in the country where it is spoken has incomparable advantages. First you will have access to exact pronunciation and proper tone. Listening to exact pronunciation will help you correct yourself and will improve your listening and speaking ability. I know this well from my own experience, when I first learned English, I didn’t pay much attention to pronunciation and I had difficulty in listening, I couldn’t distinguish similarly pronounced words and I couldn’t figure out the meaning.

Furthermore, when learning a foreign language, I think practising continuously is the most important factor and only staying in the native country can give this chance of constant practice. When living in the native country, or in a country which the language is used as first language, one has no choice but using this language. He has to listen to news, advertisements on TV in foreign language. He has to use it in daily life.

To sum up, I prefer to learn a foreign language in the native country because it will give me opportunities to practise a lot, to correct my fault easily and naturally. So I think this is the better way of learning a foreign language.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a social studies class

your essay is really good :D. I find it difficult to correct your writing.
Cheer :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley:

Hi minhduc
I don’t know which type of essay you want to write?

Essay Topic – “ Learning A Foreign Language”

Question - Many people have learned a foreign language in their own country;other have learned a foreign language in the country in which it is spoken. Which is better? Give the advantages of each and support your viewpoint.

Communication in the foreign language is the key of learning it. I think learning a foreign language in the country in which it is spoken is the better.
Learning foreign language in own country has an advantages such as teacher can explain any abstruse text or word in our mother tongue, it is easily understandable.Regarding financial matter it is always better to study in our own country as it will save accommodation cost and other living expenditure.
When a 1year old child wonders around his mother or family members he observes them and listen what they talk. He does not learn his mother tongue with the help of books.He learns just by listening it and trying to speak it.So, listening, speaking are the two basic factors to learn a language. It applies in case of foreign language too.
If we learn a foreign language in our own country then we will be perfect in reading and writing but what about speaking? Eventhough if we decide to speak in foreign language with our peers then at some extent we will speak in our mother tongue. And as all our friends are the learner in that languge there are less chances of correction while speaking. Infact there are advantages to learn a foreign language in the country in which it is spoken because it gives a good platform for communication with native speakers and it will give better results to improve our speaking.
While communicating with native speaker we can observe their pronounciation and accent. Accent is also one of the important factor of speaking a specific language.We can understand them easily and they can understand us too after a long practice of communication.
We will get facility to read ancient literature in that language,daily news paper.We will get a chance to know their culture.
In addition to all basic advantages I would say that learning foreign language in native country will give perfect and long lasting effect.