TOEFL essay: Eating out and at home have their advantages and disadvantages

Topic: Some people prefer to eat out. Others prefer home cooked meals with their family.
Which of these types of meal do you prefer?
Use reasons and examples to support your answer.

My anwer:

Nowadays, life becomes more and more comfortable but people are busier and busier. They don’t have time to prepare and cook meals at home. Someone prefers to eat fast- food or eat at food stands and restaurants. But at my point of view, I still prefer to eat at home.

Firstly, it’s because each person have a private taste. Someone likes to fry eggs with nion, others like fried eggs with cheese or tomatoes. Our taste is not the same. Maybe it is affected by our family. Furthermore, with some people who like cooking or good at cooking, they always have the special secret cooking manners which make their own taste that you can’t find at any restaurant. So some people can’t eat out because they only like the taste of their wives’ special soup.

Secondly, eating at home is one of the best ways to enhance the relationship inside your family. Life is busier and people don’t have much time to share their feeling together, even though they are in a family. Image the scene that all members of your family - father, mother, brohters, sisters and you - sit around the table and enyoy the special soup that your mother cooked, everybody tell some funny stories and exchange their feelings about their own work,…It’s a normal scene in your life time but it can be your memory that you always remember when you are far from home. Besides, cooking meals at home maybe a family traditional. For examples, as in my family, we always prepare and cook meals at home and we feel warmmer and happier.

Thirdly, home-cooked meals always cheaper than food in restaurant. For instance, with the money for two roasted beef dishes in an 5-star-restaurant, you can buy food for all your family in a whole week.So cooking meals at home is always one of the best ways for the housewives who want to save money.
In general, eating in always a reasonable choice for anybody.That’s because You want to enjoy your private special soup or improve your relationship between members in your family, or maybe because you want to save your money.

End.

Please, correct it for me, Teacher! Thanks for all!

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a professor and a departmental secretary

Nowadays, life becomes more and more comfortable but people are busier and busier. PEOPLE don’t have time to prepare and cook meals at home. Someone prefers to eat fast- food or eat at food stands and restaurants. But FROM my point of view, I still prefer to eat at home.

Firstly, it’s because each person have a private taste. Someone likes to fry eggs with Onion, others like fried eggs with cheese or tomatoes. Our taste is not the same. Maybe it is affected by our family. Furthermore, with some people who like cooking or ARE good at cooking, they always have the special secret cooking TECHNIQUE which makeS their own taste that you can’t find at any restaurant. So some people can’t eat out because they only like the taste of their wives’ special soup.

Secondly, eating at home is one of the best ways to enhance the relationship inside your family. Life is busier and people don’t have much time to share their feelingS together, even though they are in a family. ImagINe the scene that all members of your family - father, mother, brohters, sisters and you - sit around the table and enyoy the special soup that your mother cooked, everybody tellS some funny stories and exchangeS their feelings about their own work,…It’s a normal scene in your life time but it can be your memory that you always remember when you are far from home. Besides, cooking meals at home maybe IS a family traditional. For examples, as in my family, we always prepare and cook meals at home and we feel warmer and happier.

Thirdly, home-cooked meals ARE always cheaper than food in A restaurant. For instance, with the money for two roast beef dishes in a 5-star-restaurant, you can buy food for all your family FOR a whole week.So cooking meals at home is always one of the best ways for the housewives who want to save money.
In general, eating in always a reasonable choice for anybody.That’s because You want to enjoy your private special soup or improve your relationship between members in your family, or maybe because you want to save your money.

Alan

:smiley: Thanks for your reply. It’s so helpful for me, Teacher Alan. ^^

Some people prefer to eat at food stands or restaurants. Other people prefer to prepare and eat food at home. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

(I PLEAD YOU SIR, PLEASE CORRECT MY MISTAKES AND GRADE MY ESSAY ).

Some people like to eat out at food stands and restaurants. While others like to prepare food at home. Often it depends on the kind of lifestyle people have. Those with very busy jobs outside the house don’t always have time to cook. They like the convenience of eating out. Overall, though, it is cheaper and healthier to eat at home.

While eating in restaurants is fast, the money you spend can add up. When I have dinner at restaurant with a friend, the bill is usually over twenty dollars. I can buy a lot of groceries with that muchy of money. Even luch at a fast-food stand usually cost five to six dollars for one person. That’s enough to feed the whole family at home.

Eating at home is better for you, too. Meals at restaurants are often high in fat and calories, and they serve big plates of food- much more food than you need to eat at one meal. If you cook food at home, you have more control over the ingredients.You can use margarine instead of butter on your potatoes, or not put so much cheese on top of your pizza. At home you can control your portion size. You can serves yourself as little as you want. In a restaurant, you may eat a full plate of food " because you paid for it"

It’s true that eating out is convenient. You don’t have to shop, or cook, or clean up. However, real home cooking doesn’t have to take a lot of time. There are lots of simple meals that don’t take long to make. In fact, they’re faster than eating out, especially if you think of the time you spend driving to a restaurant, parking, waiting for a table, waiting for service, and driving home.

Both eating at restaurants and cooking at home can be satisfying. Both can taste good and be enjoyed with family and friends. I prefer cooking at home because of the money and health issues, but people will make the choice that fits therie lifestyle best.

Could you grade my essay pls?

Some people prefer to eat at food stands or restaurants. Other people prefer to prepare and eat food at home. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Sometimes, when I am in a hurry, I prefer to eat meal at a restaurant. However, on the whole, I prefer to eat the meal at home because the food at home is nutritious, healthful and hygienic.
The food at home is convenient to prepare. Some fruits, eggs and slices of bread are suffice for the meal. They can easily be kept at home and can be prepared easily within less time. Moreover, I can do the work on computer while eating. So, meal at home saves both time and money.
In parties, I usually eat the food at restaurant. Sometimes, I become sick after eating food from restaurant. We do not know how is the food prepared in the restaurant.Food may be prepared under highly unhygienic conditions. In contrast, at home we can prepare the food carefully and under proper hygienic conditions.
The food at the restaurant may contain ingredients of inferior quality and highly fatty substances and other ingredients which are very harmful for the health. On the other hand, at home we can select the ingredients and can prepare food with low fat substances.
In concise, the food at home is healthful, nutritious and convenient to prepare.Furthermore, meal at home also saves money and time. Whereas the meal at restaurant may be deletious but it may cause a great harm to health.

END

SIR PLEASE CORRECT THIS ESSAY. I WILL BE REALLY THANKFUL TO YOU.

Please sir check my essay. My toefl exam is after 3 days. I will be really thankful to you.

Eating out and at home have their advantages and disadvantages and if i’m to choose it will be quiet difficult since i enjoy both home cooked meals
and junk foods.

When it comes to out i can say it saves time since the food is always served as shortly after ordering it.
been a student sometimes when you have a break between one lesson and another u can’t possibly go home and cook
then return back to school so mostly the best thing to do is go to a fast food joint or restuarant near you.
and moreover when you eat out you have a variety of choices like chinese,italian,mexican,thai dishes.it also saves you time from shopping for cooking ingredients.
and most times you can have a good meal with your friends outside without getting to do all the kitchen chores like frying,chopping,cleanning up
and doing dishes saving you from stress. but eating from restaurants is also very costy and most times very unhealthy.
although you are been assured of their maximun hygiene standards it will never be as healthy as food cooked at home.

On the other eating at home saves you so much money compared to eating in restaurants. morover eating at home can also be a way of spending sometime with your family after a choatic day at work or school.
i also know that home cook meals are very healthy since your been the one cooking it.
although cooking at home gives you all the comfort you want it can also be very stressful and and time taking since after a hard day at work we’d need some rest
so getting to spend more time on your feet cooking might not be always pleasent.

Unfortunately i can’t state out that eating at home is better than eating out because i personally enjoy both of them.

please i need help in correcting this essay.thanks

Yet again… tidy it up. You appear very intelligent. Use that which you have, and that which others envy. Don’t allow it to become wasted on you through laziness.

Kitosdad.

Thanks for reminding me of my mistakes, I’ve not written an essay in english for 8 years now because I live in Italy so I’ll try and tidy up as you stated. and thabjs for the compliments.

There are millions of people in the world and they all have their own preferences. Some like cook at home and others prefer to eat out. It makes me a little difficult to say which one I prefer to. Because sometimes I like foods that have been cooked in home and sometimes I love to eat out. When I search which one I like the best, I wrote down the item I like and the item I don’t like concern with them. Finally, I get the answer clearly. If there is need me to choose, I will choose the eating out, although I certainly love meal cooked by my mother.
One of the reasons is I hate to cook and, I am not very good at cooking. Once, my younger brother has told me that he even cannot swallow the meal that has been served by me. And the second reason is because I can get the international cuisines that I like and others different meals that I wish without any extra tasks such as go to market, cooking, washing the dishes, etc. Since I do not need to do such extra tasks, that I hate the most, I can treat my soul with something that I like and, I can save my time as well. The third reason is I like the facilities given by some restaurants. For example, the one I usually go to is so clean, their waiters and waitress are very polite, and the best is their food. When I wait for the meal that I have asked, I can read a book that is my hobby. When the food arrives, I can have a good taste not like my cook. And when I get finish, I can pay and go out without washing the dishes.
Another reason is I don’t have to worry for my dinner. Because my last job for the day is 6:00 PM to 8:00PM, I have no time to cook for my dinner. I usually go to eat in the restaurant near my apartment and I get a walk to home. It gives me the most pleasure for the whole day. That is why I choose the eating out as my best.

Fairy, this is a really poor essay. I don’t know which books you are reading, but they are certainly no help to you in learning to write in English.
If you like working a fourteen hour day, just ignore my comments, but if you wish to get on in life, for goodness sake, wake up and do some proper studying.

Kitos.

Hi Kitosdad,
Thanks for your comment. And I’m very sorry for that this poor essay takes your time. This is my first essay. I haven’t written any essay before. Can you suggest me what kind of book should I read? What do you mean by some proper studying? How should I get start it? And how I can get an interesting essay. I will write this essay again with a new idea. I’m waiting for you suggestion.
Fairy

Good morning Fairy.Thank you for accepting my comments so readily.

Let’s begin by saying that your spelling is very good. You appear to be able to create good ideas in your head which are spoiled when you attempt to write them down.
Your use of tenses is often wildly incorrect, and words are added to some sentences that have no place there.

Do not be dismayed, for all are easily corrected.

Please do rewrite this essay and then we can examine it with greater interest.

Reading books is the wrong direction to take if you wish to learn English quickly, simply because, if the story is well written, then your interest is centred on the story rather than on the purpose of your reading, which is to study sentence structure.

Newspapers and magazines offer shorter articles on which you can concentrate . Note each sentence; how it is structured, and why it is written so.

OK, enough for now. I await your revised essay.

Kitos.