TOEFL essay: A universal language should replace all languages

Topic 6: Do you agree/ disagree with the following statement:

" A universal language should replace all languages".

My writing :

When I traveled to Beijing, China last year, I had a lot of difficulties in understanding what they were saying. One time, after paying 1 $ to a saleswoman for a snack, I heard “xie xie ni”-she said. “oh, what does she mean?”, I wondered. Since then, I always think about a universal language that replaces all languages. There are several advantages of having an international language that makes me agree with it, such as: communication with ease, saving a lot of time and money and the solidarity it presents.

Although it can’t be denied that each language presents it own culture, it’s still necessary to set up an international language. With this language, it will be easier for people from various countries in the world to communicate with each other. Moreover, understanding will also be limited if we use only one official language over the world, which can prevent conflicts between people from different religions. ( Really? ^_^)

One more thing that I want to discuss is the money and time we can save by having a universal language. This change can have such an influence on our community. For instance, there are several conferences among leaders in EU every year. How would they manage without interpreters? Furthermore, translating documents from a language into another one also takes a lot of time, which can be saved for many other problems. Correspondingly, the money that we can save from hiring interpreters would be very useful for the poor in the world. And the last thing, a universal language symbolizes the solidarity and the friendship among all countries on the earth as well as.

To sum up briefly, it’s really essential to have a universal language so that people in the world can communicate with much ease, And the most vital thing is the solidarity it presents.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a professor and a university student in the professor’s office

Hi,

When I traveled to Beijing, China last year, I had a lot of difficulties in understanding what they were saying. One time/ONCE, after paying 1 $ to a saleswoman for a snack, I heard HER SAY“xie xie ni”- “oh, what does she mean?”, I wondered. Since then, I always think about a universal language that replaces all languages. There are several advantages of having an international language that makes me agree with it, such as: communication with ease, saving a lot of time and money and the solidarity it presents.

Although it can’t be denied that each language presents it own culture, it’s still necessary to set up an international language. With this language, it will be easier for people from various countries in the world to communicate with each other. Moreover, understanding will also be limited if we use only one official language over the world, which can prevent conflicts between people from different religions. ( Really? ^_^)

One more thing that I want to discuss is the money and time we can save by having a universal language. This change can have such an influence on our community. For instance, there are several conferences among leaders in THE EU every year. How would they manage without interpreters? Furthermore, translating documents from ONE language into another one also takes a lot of time, which can be saved for many other problems. Correspondingly, the money that we can save from hiring interpreters would be very useful for the poor in the world. And the last thing, a universal language symbolizes the solidarity and the friendship among all countries on the earth as well .

To sum up briefly, it’s really essential to have a universal language so that people in the world can communicate with COMPLETE ease, And the most vital thing is the solidarity it presents.

A good piece of writing.

Alan

1 Like