Toefl essay: a new movie theater in your neighborhood

It has recently been announced that a new movie theater may be built in your neighborhood. Do you support or oppose this plan? Why? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

Living in a good neighborhood is very important to have a better life because it is where you spend most of your time. If they build a new movie theater nearby, there will be a lot of debate about it, some people may agree and some other may disagree. From my point of view, it is good to have a movie theater in our neighborhood for two reasons which I explain later.

First, a movie theater will provide new entertainment for people. There is not much choice (there are not many options) for having a good weekend in small towns so watching movies in a cinema can be a good option. People can go to watch a movie in a cinema with their family or friends and have a good time together. For instance, when I was a high school student my favorite pastime was watching movies and I had a few friends who also were into movies. There was a movie theater near our school that changed its movies every other week. We would go to movies exactly at the first day when they started showing a new movie. I can remember a movie we saw those days, called "the last supper". It was a romance in which a woman who is a professor falls in love with a boy who is her student and at least 20 years younger. As we all were adolescent and almost at the age of that boy in the movie, we imagined ourselves in his place. After the movie finished we went to a café and discussed about it for hours. That is why it has remained in my mind after around 15 years. As you can see having a movie theater in your neighborhood can be entertaining and make unforgettable memories for you.

Second, a new movie theater is good for business in the surrounding area. It attracts new people who are potential customers for the surrounding shops and restaurants. These new customers improve small businesses. For example, I used to have a friend who had a fast food restaurant in a street that was not so crowded. The restaurant usually had about 20 customers a day so that it wouldn’t cover its expenses. My friend was considering closing down the restaurant and changing his business but he heard that a movie theater is going to be built in the street near (close) to his restaurant. So, he changed his mind and decided to bear the loss for a few years. After the movie theater was complete and started to show movies, just within a year not only all of his losses were offset but also he earned enough money to buy a new car and apartment. Without that movie theater my friend would never have made that much money.

Finally, building a movie theater will create new jobs. The theater Construction project will need different kinds of people such as engineers, managers, architects, or construction workers. Even after the theater is finished they will have to employ new people to run it. This means that there will be new job opportunities. For example, on my way to work I used to pass a huge building under construction. It took around ten years to be finished. There were lots of people working there every day. Now it is a beautiful complex which consists of different parts including a shopping center and several movie theaters. There are still people who work in the movie theater in order to provide service for customers. It is clear that this complex has provided jobs for many people hunting for jobs.

All things considered, a movie theater in your neighborhood would be a great addition. It provides a good pastime for people, more customers for stores and restaurants, and new job opportunities. Who doesn’t like entertainment, more money, and new jobs? Be optimistic and support the idea of building a movie theater in our neighborhood.

3 Likes

Wow, this was a really impressive essay. Your introduction had a great format - 1. say why the topic is important 2. say what the debate over the topic is about 3. give your opinion in the thesis. Really well done.
Then your body paragraphs had excellent examples that were personal, detailed, and very memorable.
In high school, I remember doing the exact same thing - running out after school on Friday to see the newly opening movie at the cinema. I remember seeing Rambo Part 3 and having to sit in the very corner seat because the entire theater was sold out! Ha! Anyway, your conclusion was also.very good, with an excellent call to action, which fit this prompt perfectly.
Your writing was very clear, but do try to learn and use some synonyms for “good”, here is a list I generated a while ago: Toefl study group - #23 by Luschen
Here are some further suggestions:

3 Likes

Hi Luschen
Thank you very much.
You are amazing. You are so meticulous. I always get surprised when I read your comments.
It is interesting that we have had the same hobby in high school.

1 Like