"to be fed up with" vs "to be fed up of"

is there any difference between “to be fed up with something” and “to be fed up of something”

?

cheers

When did you see the expression Fed up of? To my knowledge, only the first is available. However, I’ll be very grateful if you could teach me more.

Sorry Take, but “fed up of” doesn’t exist.

‘-fed up of’ is sometimes used by native English speakers, in place of the grammatically correct ‘fed up with’.

“I’m fed up of doing this work now.”
“I’m fed up with this work now”

“I’m fed up of being left behind.”
“I’m fed up with being left behind.”

They should know better - but they don’t!

I agree with BN. We can see/hear people say it even on TV.

I don’t think you’re likely to hear ‘fed up of’ more than as an occasional slip of the tongue in spoken English – at least not on this side of the pond. I imagine such a slip could happen when a speaker accidentally mixes ‘tired of’ and ‘fed up with’. At any rate, I would expect ‘fed up with’ to be used far more often than ‘fed up of’ in my neck of the woods. Maybe ‘fed up of’ is more common on the British side of the pond…

[color=darkblue]________________________________________________________
[size=75]“The cutthroat avenues of rock ‘n’ roll, I am fed up with. I don’t want anything to do with it.” ~ Neil Young[/size]

Yes exactly, I live in the UK, and here is more common to say " to be fed up of smth, but I prefer to use the other one, as I’m not native, and l learnt as “to be fed up with smth” but as BS says, a verb should be used after “fed of”, and a noun after “fed with” Anyways thanks for all the replies.

Hi everyone,

What I have known is “fed up with”. I have learnt something in here.
Attached is the link that leads you to another explanation of “fed up with or fed up of” by Jamie (K) and Torsten english-test.net/forum/ftopic21244.html

Sorry for being as a meddler.

JLTS

Thanks for the link, JLTS.

As far as I know, Beesnees is from Britain.

I know Jamie is from the midwestern part of the US. I’m from the east coast in the US, which is apparently also where RobertS is from. Since we all reacted to ‘fed up of’ as being nothing more than an error (i.e. not something that people actually use), I’d say that’s a pretty good indication that the use of ‘of’ in that phrase is basically restricted to informal colloquial usage in the UK.
[color=darkblue]______________________________________________
[size=75]“Many great writers have been extraordinarily awkward in daily exchange, but the greatest give the impression that their style was nursed by the closest attention to colloquial speech.” ~ Thornton Wilder
[/size]

Never heard “of” before.

In English English, “fed up” is slang so debating its grammatical correctness seems somewhat pointless. “Fed up of” derives from the Cockney habit of inserting superfluous words for effect - as in “If I had of done it…”. The English English would say grammatically, for example, " I am fed to the back teeth with his behaviour" but not “I am fed up of…”. Nor for that matter, would they say “I am fed up with…”, except where American English has intruded and become a non-English English commonplace. It should not be overlooked that American English is very largely a frozen version of 18th century English English and is therefore not a reliable guide as to how 21st century English English is defined and practised. Having said that, American English is making inroads into English English - in the scientific world the spelling of (English English) “sulphur” has been formally reverted to the 18th century (American English) spelling “sulfur”.

Incidentally, a Cockney is a Londoner born within sound of Bow Bells - the bells of the church of St Mary-le-Bow in Cheapside.