This is the last time we’ll see each other vs. This is the last time we see each other

If you so see someone for the last time, which one of the sentences underneath would be the best?

• This is the last time we see each other.
  • This is the last time we’ll see each other.

If there’s any significant difference in meaning than please tell me.

@Alan, @Torsten, @Andrea, @Anglophile

Marc.

4 Likes

@Masme Hi Marc, hope you’re well.

I would use the second one for sure.

“This is the last time we’ll see each other.”

3 Likes

Hi Andrea, welcome back :wink: How you have you been? Have you seen our new homepage with your profile?

As for the question at hand, I think it depends on when the actual process of seeing each other is happening. If it’ll be in the future the second sentence is the correct one. But what about if the event is happening at the moment of speaking?

3 Likes

I’d prefer the first because the seeing for the last time is taking place now, and not that it is going to take place later.

3 Likes

For me the difference is between authority and regret. Let me explain -
The last time I see you - suggests that it is final because you have decided that you never see the other person again or you have been told or instructed never to see the other person.
The last time I’ll see you - suggests regret because circumstance such as living a long way away prevent you from meeting again.

5 Likes

Thank you all for your replies.
Marc

2 Likes

Hi Andrea,

Yes I’m fine, how are you and your family?

Marc

2 Likes

@Torsten Hi Torsten, thanks for your message. It’s hectic here. Schools are back and I have kids in 2 schools now. How are you? Yes, I have the seen the changes. It looks great!

Yes, you’re right. It depends on the situation you’re in or going to be in.:blush:

2 Likes

@Masme Hi Marc, Glad all is well. I’m ok. Just busy now that schools are on the go again.

2 Likes