There is a difference between with who(m) and with that. Help me out please

Hi all of you,
Sorry I’ve been away for seven days, but I needed some rest. I hope you’ll understand.

Now, I’ve heard the following sentence of a dialogue in a television film:

- I’ve heard all about your reputation about your relationships with women at their expense. There are plenty of women over here that you can do that with, but I’m not one of them.

Shouldn’t the words in bold be as follows: who(m) you can do that with?

Thanks.

1 Like

I think in spoken colloquial English the object pronoun ‘who/whom’ is often replaced by ‘that’. Let’s see what @Andrea and @Anglophile say. Maybe even @Alan will respond. Who knows :wink: (pun intended)

2 Likes

Yes, I’m here. ‘That’ is fine in this sentence and obviously can’t be immediately connected to a preposition. Just perhaps in the particular sentence you would a repetition of ‘that’.

5 Likes

Thank you both, gentlemen, I really appreciate your answers as always.

Torsten in Dutch my reply is as follows:

Dank u beide heren, ik stel werkelijk uw antwoorden op prijs.

I think I’m going to buy a microphone, so you can hear the pronunciation. But give me some time, would you? There’s a lot going on in my private life right now. By the way, I don’t speak Dutch like the people of the Netherlands; Flemish Dutch sounds somewhat different. You can compare it with the difference in pronunciation in BrE and AmE. However Belgian, Flemish people understand the Dutch perfectly well and the other way round. It has an interesting historical background, but it would take me too much time and too much space to explain it all to you now.
Pun intended. Yes, I agree Torsten. I think Alan likes a little joke every now and then, as do we all.

Goodnight.

1 Like