The tendency of news reports in the media to focus more on problems and emergencies rather than on positive developments is harmful to individuals and society. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Nowadays, news coverage is dominated by reports of tragedies or disasters or problem has been receiving a great deal of public attention. Whether communications should ignore or minimize such events have caused a debate. In my opinion, I totally disagree that this is harmful.

Firstly, breaking news is always about some spectacular events. This may be a disaster, for example, an earthquake, an air crash, or a political event like the assassination of a well-known figure such as the US President Kennedy. Indeed, within seconds, news is transmitted around the world. Occasionally, spectacular event is good news like the first moon landing in 1969. However, the positive developments rarely make front page headlines or appear as leading articles in news reports. For instance, the science discoveries like cures of various types of cancer are results of years of methodical investigation and are not considered exciting enough for the sensational journalism today.

Secondly, when something spectacular happens and is instantly reported. This is a necessary step in calling public attention to an issue. In fact, these news distress to individuals or families affected and to society as a whole but it raises problems which demand public concern. For example, if the media carry a story about a tsunami in Indonesia, this triggers public supports to donate money by international organisations. Moreover, when the media discuss the impact of those issues, its consequences would be minimized in the long run. For instance, a major air crash results in calling for a safety investigation enquiry.

In conclusion, we can not deny that both sides well-grounded. In my part, I still stand up for the media focus on problems emergencies.

3 Likes

Hi Hoalethi, welcome to the forum. I think your English is pretty good. I was able to understand your ideas, but your overall organization could have been a little better.
As a reader, I didn’t really know how your paragraphs were structured until I finished reading them. What I mean is that in your first body paragraph you chose to discuss why the media focuses on bad news and in your second paragraph you discuss why you don’t feel that this harmful. This is a good structure, but you have to show that structure to the reader.
Do this by stating your plan in the thesis statement. - “There are specific reasons why media tends to highlight negative and tragic events, but in my opinion, this trend has more benefits than drawbacks.” Then begin each paragraph with a topic sentence that tells the reader what you will be discussing in each paragraph. - Para 1: “To begin, there is a logical rationale for why breaking news always seems to be about some spectacularly disastrous event.” Para 2: “Though some viewers are troubled by this focus on the negative, reporting that dwells on tragedies and problems actually serves many positive purposes.”
Hopefully you can see how adding just a little explanation will go a long way in helping the reader to understand your ideas, which are actually very good. Here are some other suggestions:

2 Likes

Thank you very much. <3

2 Likes