The story of a life.

He was a lonely little boy from a poor family.
His Mother loved him deeply, but they were just so damned poor.

Her husband had left her yet again.
A womaniser with many broken affairs to his shame.
He had always returned from his affairs promising to alter his ways and to be a good husband and Father, but he was insincere and had always broken his promise.
He was not a good provider and avoided work whenever he could.
A man of means by no means, forever depending on the generosity of others to see him through yet another penniless week.

His Mother worked hard, doing two jobs to support them, and she was forever out of the house working.
He was left alone for countless hours, and even when his Father was at home he paid scant attention to him.

It was Christmas-time and his Mother hoped to be able to buy him something special this year.
She had never been able to do so on previous years, but it hadn’t really mattered too much. He was such a little boy and he didn’t really know very much about the history of Santa , all he knew was that his playmates all seemed to have a lot more toys than he had.
He never knew that Santa had brought these toys.

This year his Mother was determined that he would have a good Christmas, and that she would be able to buy him an assortment of toys, even if they were cheap or even second-hand from the local charity shop.

She had worked extra hard and had managed to save a few pounds from her meagre earnings. Yes, this year he would have some more toys, he was such a good little boy.

She had decided to leave the purchase of these things until very late on Christmas Eve. She reasoned that the shops would reduce their prices on the very last day before Xmas, and if she were to go to the shops just before they were about to close the prices may well have been reduced even more.

Christmas Eve came around and she rushed to finish her cleaning work in the shop.
She had to get home and give her Son his evening-meal and pack him off to bed.
He would be OK in bed whilst she went shopping for his Xmas gifts.

When she arrived home her husband was sitting at the kitchen table smoking as usual.

She walked into the bedroom and smiled as she saw her little son sitting reading his old book about the animals in the Zoo.
He must have read it a million times.
She was determined that he would have a new book amongst his gifts.

Having prepared his tea she talked to him for a while, and then said it was time for bed. He went obediently and she softly sang him to sleep.
Ensuring that he was soundly sleeping she tucked him in his little bed and went back into the kitchen.

She put on her coat and checked her shopping bag.
Her purse containing her few savings was gone!
She took off her coat and quietly drew a hard wooden chair from beneath the newspaper-covered kitchen-table.

She sat staring into space for a few moments, and then she very slowly lowered her head onto her arms, and silently wept.

Kitos.

C’mon Bill you can’t do this - were’s episode two? that’s going to spoil my Christmas if theres no Episode two Bill! :frowning:
We need a happy ending Bill!! C’mon pretty please! Bill!!

Ich war fast vergessen! wie ist deine Deutsche jetzt?

Sorry Jim, there was almost a happy ending … then I lost her due to my own stupidity.
My German is still almost none-existant and probably will remain so until my dying day.

I’m glad you came back out of the shadows… now I shall return to my own.

Kitos.

Hi, Kitos

I like your new story but, like James, I was waiting for a happy ending.

Why was her husband needed to be home and awake?
He could have been sleeping. Or not home. Or not at all :slight_smile:

Thank you, I enjoyed reading it!

Regards,
Monica

It could have been worse - when she drew the hard wooden chair out I thought she might be going to end it all.

Ok so you had to forgot to save it and lost it Bill not the end of the world I do it all the time. But like that German guy from near Leipzig says “whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” Bit of trauma every once in a while is good for you. :slight_smile:

Actually Bill I just had an idea - why not completely disregard what you had written
and create something different, bit like those books that let you choose the ending.
That way you don’t have to “remember” and we some more joy?
That way everyone involved including the poor Mother and her Son walk away with a balloon? :slight_smile:

[size=200]Merry Christmas from Belfast to Everyone on Planet Earth!![/size]

[size=200]
Geseënde Kersfees en ‘n Voorspoedige Nuwe Jaar.

I’d Miilad Said Oua Sana Saida

Felices Pasquas Y felices ano Nuevo

Shenoraavor Nor Dari yev Pari Gaghand

Eguberri on

Vesele Vanoce

Nedeleg laouen na bloavezh mat

Tchestita Koleda; Tchestito Rojdestvo Hristovo

Kung His Hsin Nien bing Chu Shen Tan

Saint Dan Fai Lok

Nadelik looan na looan blethen noweth

Sretan Bozic i Nova Godina

Prejeme Vam Vesele Vanoce a stastny Novy Rok

Glædelig Jul

Vrolijk Kerstfeest en een Gelukkig Nieuwjaar

Quvianagli Anaiyyuniqpaliqsi suli Nakuuluni Ukiutqiutiqsi

Haid joule ja head uut aastat

Cristmas-e-shoma mobarak bashad

Maligayang Pasko

Manigong Bagong Taon

Maligayang Pasko at Manigong Bagong Taon

Hyvaa joulua

Joyeux Noël

Froehliche Weihnachten

Kala Christouyenna

Mele Kalikimaka

Mo’adim Lesimkha. Chena tova

Shub Naya Baras

Kellemes Karacsonyi unnepeket

Gledileg Jol

Selamat Hari Natal

Idah Saidan Wa Sanah Jadidah

Nollaig Shona Dhuit

Buone Feste Natalizie

Shinnen omedeto, kurisumasu omedeto gozaimasu.

Sung Tan Chuk Ha

Prieci’gus Ziemsve’tkus un Laimi’gu Jauno Gadu

Linksmu Kaledu"

Merry Keshmish

God Jul

En frehlicher Grischtdaag un en hallich Nei Yaahr

Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia

Feliz Natal Boas Festas)

Craciun fericit & Sarbatori Fericite

Pozdrevlyayu s prazdnikom Rozhdestva s Novim Godom

Hristos se rodi

Sretan Bozic or Vesele vianoce