The 'status' of beatle leaf in other countries

Hi

I would like to know the ‘status’ of beatle leaf in other countries

:smiley: In Pakistan and India it is eaten a lot, especially after dinner. Its name is ‘Paan’ in these countries. Do you people eat it or like it? Could you please tell me the ingredients you put in it? Here we put green cardamom, white lime, supari, tobacco etc in it. There is also this red substance that produces a lot of ‘red juice’ in the mouth that you have to spit every now and again while eating the leaf. I am not really aware of the ‘right term’ for the said substance, nor do I know if it is available in other countries.

:shock: Children also go for ‘sweet’ beatle leaf.

Please share your opinions.

Tom

Perhaps this belongs in the ‘What do you want to talk about’ Forum, Tom.

It’s good that you’ve brought up this subject matter, Tom, because betel or ‘pan’ is something I have always been intrigued with, ever since I first read about it – which was in R. Prawer Jhabvala’s novel “To Whom She Will” (or, to be precise, its German translation, which bears the title “Amrita und Hari”). All these people going round with a bulging cheek and spitting red juice must look strange (to us foreigners, I mean). As far as I know (I always think of Spencer now when I say that – where is he, by the way?), betel isn’t consumed in Europe.

For those who, like me, have little or no idea what ‘pan chewing’ is all about, here’s some interesting information: http://www.epistola.com/sfowler/scholar/scholar-betel.html
http://www.le-betel.com/recettes/en_recettes.htm

What about you, Amy?

Have you ever eaten the leaf? Do you like it?

Tom

Hi Tom

No, I’ve never had an opportunity to try the betel leaf or the betel nut or paan. You might be able to find betel nuts in a few shops (specializing in international foods) in the USA. But, basically the only type of leaf that is chewed (by some people) in the USA is tobacco — which is something I find incomprehensible. :shock: I assume, though, that betel leaf chewing is a lot nicer. :lol:

Do you chew a lot of Paan, Tom?

Amy